LASIK to fix cataract surgery

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

LASIK to fix cataract surgery

Postby WayneC » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Howdy,
New here and trying to figure this site out. Are there doctors here to weigh in or is this simply a place to co-miserate and seek others' opinions? Forgive my ignorance and I don't wish to offend anyone. I just don't understand.

On to my problem. I had cataract surgery back in March and paid extra for Crystalens. This lens is supposed to be accomodating allowing me to see "far, near, and everywhere in between". Well, through whatever twist of fate, I'm stuck with only decent intermediate vision. Distance vision is poor. I'm using contacts or glasses for that. I also have to use reading glasses for close work and reading small print. The doctors already performed YAG procedure to remove the back of the lens capsule in both eyes thus leaving no chance for lens replacement. Now as a correction they want to do LASIK to correct the distance vision. I only need about .5-1.00 D to gain good distance vision and they think, based on those low numbers, I'd be a great candidate for LASIK with a good outcome. That will leave me still needing the reading glasses, albeit stronger ones than now. It will most likely also diminish my intermediate vision. And then there's the typical risks with LASIK.

I'm inclined to stop where I am and just resign myself to contacts and glasses which can be removed and/or changed at will. It's a sure thing! LASIK--not so much.

What do you folks think? Am I worried over nothing? Should I go with the LASIK? The doctors seem to have all the confidence, but it's MY eyes! I can't afford another screw-up.
Thanks
WC
WayneC

Re: LASIK to fix cataract surgery

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:50 pm

WayneC wrote:I'm inclined to stop where I am and just resign myself to contacts and glasses which can be removed and/or changed at will. It's a sure thing! LASIK--not so much.

I tend to agree, but probably for different reasons. With 0.50 - 1.00 diopter myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision, you have the advantage of increased intermediate (and some near) vision. When you are wearing lenses to give you full distance vision, your intermediate and near vision suffers. If you have laser vision correction surgery to make your vision permanetly distance only, the loss of intermediate and near vision may be quite problematic.

Currently, your distance vision is probably around 20/40. That is good enough to have no restriction on your driver's license. You can see your cell phone, although you still probably need to adjust the distance a little bit. You could read a menu without reading glasses.

You may want to have a pair of fully distance correcting glasses made to keep in the car or to use when excellent distance vision is demanded, but use your slightly nearsighted eyes for about all other needs. If you are going to do a lot of reading, use inexpensive reading glasses.

Having adequate vision at all distances may be better than having excellent vision only at distance. Remember, "better" is often the enemy of "good enough".
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WayneC » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Thank you for the reply. You've NAILED my situation perfectly! I already do have a pair of distance correcting glasses for driving and especially night driving. They clear things up wonderfully. I also now have distance contacts for work and keep a pair of reading glasses handy. My work is such that I NEED distance vision almost exclusively but only need to read or enter log information for a few moments. On the other hand, today I had to do some vehicle maintenance under the hood and didn't need ANY help seeing what I was doing at arms length; the distance most under-hood things are. Also, working on the computer, as I am writing this--no correction needed.

All is working out like this, albeit a little inconvenient at times, and I think I stay with the "known quantity" rather than chance losing what I now have or compounding it with other side effects.

Thanks again,
WC
WayneC

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:05 am

You need to try monovision with a contact lens correcting your dominant eye. You sound like a good candidate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby WayneC » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:35 am

Sorry for the delay.
I had tried monovision with contact lenses in the past. However my work and lifestyle require that I have binocular vision. I need to see with a good degree of depth perception as I need to focus on things as being either here or there. While the cataracts were still a problem, my left eye was worse than the right. I had a HUGE problem discerning whether things I saw were close up or further out. Even my doctor agreed that I wouldn't be happy with monovision after testing me. But thanks for the input.
WC
WayneC

Postby Rickeyes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:30 am

I’m no LASIK expert, but I do know one Dr. Alan Carlson who was recommended to me for anything eye-related. His blog is very informative and he’s known to reply to patients asking for specific help. Of course, for the full diagnosis and LASIK treatment you’d have to fly out to North Carolina at Duke Eye Center where he’s based, but there’s no harm in asking for his opinion via e-mail first.
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
Rickeyes

Return to Thinking About It