PRK -

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK -

Postby fhg1893 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Hello all.

Years ago, I wanted to be a pilot, in the air force. I've worn glasses since I was ~11 so obviously that wasn't an option given that stated requirements were 20/20 uncorrected vision, and laser refractive surgery was categorically excluded, even if it did correct vision to 20/20.

Now, I'm 30, and facing a future job-loss. I work for the government, so the chances that I'll actually have to find a job are fairly slim - they'll shuffle me somewhere else, and life will go on. However, under the government's work-force adjustment policies there might be an incentive to get out - if things line up, I could be paid a lump-sum of ~$30,000.00 to resign. And it just so happens that the Air Force recently changed their policy, they now accept candidates for pilot who have had laser refractive surgery to 20/20 vision. As such, I put in my application and was found suitable, acceptable, and competitive for pilot. That means that as long as I pass aircrew selection, and aircrew medical, which are a subject for a whole other thread, I stand a good chance of being offered a position, doing something I always wanted to do, and possibly get a once-in-a-lifetime payout to go do it.

However, in order to be eligible to be sent to aircrew selection, I have to get laser refractive surgery, and I'm beginning to understand that it's a bit of a risk.

I had my assessment at our local clinic who found me to be a good-candidate for surgery. My prescription is OD -2.25 OS -2.25, or OD -2.25 OS -2.00 with no astigmatism. I ordered my last pair of glasses as -2.25/-2.25, and they haven't given me any problems, my vision is corrected to 20/20 or better with glasses. I have thick corneas, 528 +/- 5 microns, but I'm leaning towards PRK and not LASIK to avoid any complications with a flap. I think I can deal with the downtime for healing without too much trouble. The clinic is recommending an Advanced Custom Wavefront treatment, and they've been very good about answering my questions so far. They haven't tried to hide the possibility of side-effects, or possible complications, it's all been detailed in the literature they've provided. The clinic has even offered a 20/20 vision guarantee so long as I get an ACW treatment.

The snag here is that my pupils dilate out to 8.4mm each under low-light conditions. If I go ahead with the surgery, it'd be done on the Bausch & Lomb Zyoptix Z100 laser, and under the care of a world-renknown, and very-well respected surgeon. I've decided that if I do go ahead with the surgery, I'll get ACW.

I'm worried about halos, star-bursts, and ghosting. I'm seeking advice from the clinic, and I understand that the internet is not necessarily the best place for information or advice.

So there it is USAEyes. I have a chance to do something I've always wanted to do, something I gave up on years ago, and has suddenly, and unexpectedly become a possibility, if, and only if, I gamble on getting laser refractive surgery, which is by no means a sure thing. Or continue to be a government bureaucrat, and wait for an ax which will eventually come, even if I'm spared this time around. What should I do?
fhg1893

Re: PRK -

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Hopefully you have read our article about large pupils and laser eye surgery and know the problems you face with such large pupils. The relatively low amout of refractive error does seem to make the probability of night vision problems somewhat less, however I'm going to refer you to the person who can answer your question.

Steven Schallhorn, MD is the Navy Top Gun pilot and ophthalmologist who developed the laser vision correction program for the Navy and whose data is followed by just about every military in the world. He is now in private practice in San Diego. If you can visit him, that would be great! If you cannot, then contact his office and discuss your case. Perhaps he can review your charts. He will be in the best position to advise you and he would know who the better surgeons are in your area.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby fhg1893 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, I'm Canadian, and from the central part of the country, so going to San Diego is a bit of a non-starter, especially given that the trip would probably cost about as much as the surgery its self.

Is posting the surgeon's CV permitted? Having looked over it, there wouldn't be many better surgeons in this area.
fhg1893

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:07 pm

If you contact the surgeon's office I'm sure he will be able to recommend someone near your location.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby fhg1893 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Well, I had PRK on Thursday June 28th, and things seem to have gone reasonably well. I haven't observed any night-vision abnormalities, and though my left eye seems to be lagging in terms of visual accuity, my vision is overall very much improved, and not far from 20/20 I wager. It seems to get slowly better day by day, and I've had no major issues.
fhg1893

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Excellent!
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin