Do IZON glasses help night timevision?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Do IZON glasses help night timevision?

Postby APizzo667 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:54 am

To message is addressed to anyone who can help!
I have severe low and mid level light vision problems. Has anyone here ever tried IZON glasses for the same problems? The IZON glasses are supposed to fix high order aberration problems? Although it is in my opinion that my low and mid level light vision problems are from my pupil expanding out of my lasik lasered zone, my lasik surguron said that I have a 58% level of HOA. The IZON glasses are supposed to fix any HOA problems.
I hope what I wrote is clear and anyone who can offer any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
APizzo667

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:08 pm

Ophthonix is the company that creates spectacles using wavefront technology. We have a news article about Ophthonix iZon wavefront glasses. Saying that iZon glasses correct higher order aberrations may be stretching it a bit.

It appears that iZon uses wavefront data to create a customized correction of sphere and cylinder (myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism), but not higher order aberrations (HOA) such as trefoil, spherical aberration, etc. These HOA require exacting registration of correction to the eye's optics. Since glasses do not move, just looking left, right, up, or down, would make correction of HOA impossible.

The obvious answer would be wavefront contact lenses, but contacts too move about, as anyone who has worn toric lenses can tell you.

I know of at least one patient who had refractive surgery induced vision problems who received a pair of iZon glasses and reported that they were superior to conventional spectacles. That is a study of one, but is an important result.

If you vision problems relate almost exclusively to night vision difficulties, then rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact lenses may be helpful. It may even be possible for Complex Wavefront Retreatment surgery to expand the fully corrected treatment zone on your corneas and/or resolve residual refractive error.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago