Need Enhancement Advice Please!

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:18 am

Very best of luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes. Discuss with your doctor if your dominant eye or non-dominant eye may be best for the first enhancement surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sunshellsea » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:45 pm

I have read about some people having the dominant eye enhanced, but that seems confusing to me. Why do people go this route? I would think you would want your weaker eye to be done first to bring it closer to the vision of your stronger eye.
sunshellsea

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Eye dominance is not about the "strength" of the eye or even which eye has better focus. Eye dominance is about direction. The dominant eye looks directly at the object, the nondominant eye looks at the object at a slight angle. We have a detailed article about eye dominance that you may find interesting.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sunshellsea » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:28 am

How accurate are the Prevue lenses? I have read various things about whether they accurately show what your vision can be like. When I put them on, the doctor told me to move around until I could find a "sweet spot." I couldn't find one with my right eye, but could with my left. Can you get Custom on one eye and regular on the other? I do believe that my left pupil is larger and could explain why I have more glare/halo issues with that eye. I have difficulty with driving at night now. Will the enhancement make the lights worse or pretty much the same? I don't want to double my night time troubles by having the surgery the 2nd time. But if Custom would help, at least on the left eye, I would like to go with that. The PreVue lenses have left me quite confused. Thanks for your help. This is such a great resource when researching Lasik.
sunshellsea

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:23 pm

sunshellsea wrote:PreVue lenses have left me quite confused.

That seems to happen quite often. The PreVue lenses are an estimation of what vision after surgery may be. Many doctors are hesitant to use the PreVue lenses because they create an expectation that may not be actually realized – good or bad.

Night vision problems commonly relate to the higher order aberration (HOA) Spherical Aberration. Spherical Aberration simply means that the refractive error at the periphery of the cornea is different than at the center. If your night vision problem is due to Spherical Aberration, then a reduction in the size of your pupils should dramatically improve vision quality. The use of Alphagan P, pilocarpine, or a light shined across (not at) the eye can achieve this pupil reduction. Complex Wavefront Retreatment (CWR) tends to do a pretty good job of resolving Spherical Aberration, however only your doctor can reasonably predict your outcome.

The problem with a complicated vision disturbance is that...well...it’s complicated. It is often difficult to make accurate predictions except in situations where a particular HOA is grossly elevated. Only your doctor will be able to evaluate and advise on the probability of improved vision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Had It A While Ago