Questions about PRK Enhancement after Lasik Overcorrection

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Questions about PRK Enhancement after Lasik Overcorrection

Postby kmlewis10 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Had Lasik on both eyes nine weeks ago and was 'way' overcorrected. Now I have a huge decision to make: PRK enhancement from my original surgeon or Lasik ehancement from another surgeon.

I don't have all of the appropriate numbers from before the surgery but the breakdown was something like this:

Before Lasik: Moderate Astigmatism for both eyes, 20/60 left eye, 20/40 right eye. Have needed reading glasses of +1.0 for approximately 10 years (I'm currently 50). Needed a fairly mild distance prescription for driving, snow skiing, cycling, etc. Never had true sharpness with glasses due to astigmatism. Couldn't tolerate contacts due the the thickness for the astigmatism correction.

After Lasik: Seeing 20/15 left eye, 20/20 right eye, close to 20/15 with both eyes for distance past approximately 15 feet. Vision is sharpest way past 20 (freakishly sharp at 50 yards) Anything within 15 feet is so blurry that I now am dependent on contacts and eyeglasses for every day life. Ran into the walls and furniture for the first two weeks after the surgery until I convinced the surgeon I needed glasses. He kept saying that my eyes hadn't settled post-surgery. Finally have a prescription for contacts of +.75 left eye and +1.25 right eye.

Couldn't ride my bike without some sort of glasses or bifocals until the contacts/glasses because couldn't see close enough in front of me to react if something was in the road or a squirrel tried to commit suicide by leaping in front of me. Couldn't watch TV after surgery because of blurriness with distance up to 15 feet. Had a terrible headache and nausea every day from trying to focus and see. Have the same problem every morning unless I immediately put my glasses on or contacts in. Am tolerating the contacts ok but my eyes are really irritated from them at the end of the day no matter how often I lubricate using drops. Wearing my glassses keeps my eyes from feeling sandpapery but my vision is not as good with them as the contacts. I get a lot of peripheral distortion.

Before surgery, I had perfect mid-distance vision and could do without my distance glasses for most things if I had to. Now both eyes are at 20/400 and don't focus until I look at something past the approximately 15 foot mark. I need +2.5 to +3.0 to read without my contacts in and even that's not clear. As long as I'm looking pretty far away, I can see great.

Surgeon finally agreed 6 weeks ago that I was 'overcorrected' and a good candidate for a Lasik enhancement in the near future. Plenty of corneal thickness, no complications, etc. My vision has also not changed one bit for distance or up close since the day after surgery. A good thing, I'm told. When I went for the pre-op visit end of last week, the surgeon told me that he now does all of his enhancements using PRK only, due to the possibility of abnormal epithelial cell growth under the Lasik flap. He said I didn't have a particular risk for this problem, only that he only uses PRK for enhancements now (he didn't in the past). He gave me very little info on the PRK procedure except to say that I'd recover fine if I followed the post-op instructions and that the first three days are rough. I'd expected a Lasik enhancement along with the same quick recovery. HIs post-op information sheet was one page and very light on how PRK recovery really takes quite some time.

He's never mentioned PRK as the preferred enhancement method and even told me several weeks ago that I'd be happy with a Lasik procedure to correct to original over correction. Imagine my surprise when I learned about the long recovery time (not the best option in this economy for a small business owner) for PRK and the chance that it could be 3 weeks or more before I could work normally.

I'm not sure what to do, but I'm looking for another surgeon in the Atlanta area for a second opinion before I'll let anyone touch my eyes. Help!
Last edited by kmlewis10 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmlewis10

Re: PRK for Enhancement after Lasik Overcorrection?

Postby kmlewis10 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Has anyone else run into this situation?
kmlewis10

Re: Questions about PRK Enhancement after Lasik Overcorrection

Postby DeadWomanWalking » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:45 am

I had lasik 3 months ago and am suicical because of being so overcorrected. I am curious as to what you chose to do and what the results were. I pray that the FDA will find a way to quantify all of the misery lasik causes so that they can do away with it or at the very least, mandate stricter regulations. I certainly hope that you have ended up with some good correction and that your life has been able to return to some normalcy. Only those of us who've gone through this misery truly understand its impact.
DeadWomanWalking

Re: Questions about PRK Enhancement after Lasik Overcorrection

Postby susssan » Mon May 30, 2011 4:43 pm

I'd really like to know how this turned out. I'm in the same boat.
Susan
susssan

Re: Questions about PRK Enhancement after Lasik Overcorrecti

Postby davidsarmstrong » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:53 am

Hi There,

I know it's been a while but I'm in the same boat as you were. I'm overcorrected to +.75 in both eyes. I've been reading that a lot of doctors are now preferring PRK for enhancement because of the high risk of flap problems with re-lifting of the flap. A friend of mine had her original surgery using PRK and is currently 3 1/2 weeks out. I haven't talked to her since about 10 days post OP and she was having good and bad days but was driving to work and able to deal with it.

What did you wind up doing? How did it work out?

I'm basically in the same boat so your experiences would be helpful to hear.

Thanks,

Dave
davidsarmstrong

Re: Questions about PRK Enhancement after Lasik Overcorrecti

Postby cemong » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Any updates ?
cemong

Return to Just Had It