Lasik a week ago - problems with vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik a week ago - problems with vision

Postby test_pry » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:58 pm

I am a 45 year old male and used reading glasses (with a power of -2.5). Since I work in the computer industry and use reading glasses 10-12 hours a day I decided to have lasik surgery to avoid wearing them.

The lasik center coducted tests and recommended lasik with monovision. They mentioned I was mildly farsighted and that would get worse and hence would correct the dominant eye for far-vision and the other eye for reading. I never had any farsight problem till then, but went along with their advice and elected to have the surgery.

I had the surgery a week ago and it was painless. The very next morning I could read without glasses. However my far vision had deteriorated pretty badly. I cannot
1) see expressway or street signs until I really close,
2) cannot see see faces clearly on 42 inch HDTV, 7 feet away, and
3) faces in a room are hazy and unfocussed, unless they a less than 10 feet away.

I never had any of the above problems prior to the surgery. The doctor told me it will improve in a week. No change. He now tells me it may take upto 6 months. He says my brain needs to adjust. No sure why, since I can see distant objects well when I use my friends eye glasses (-1.5). Somehow I do not believe him and am really concerned. Is it normal that someone vision would get worse after surgery? What are my options?

Thanks

regards

phil
test_pry

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:19 pm

We have a detailed article about Lasik Monovision that I'm sure you will find helpful.

It does take the brain time to adjust, however if one eye is hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) and the other eye is myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted), you may be having a greater difficulty adjusting.

It sounds like it is your mid-distance vision that is the primary problem. This may be because the difference in refractive error between the two eyes is too great. Hyperopic Lasik very often regresses during the first few months, so this may be a diminishing problem.

Ask your doctor for your current prescription. You probably will need a pair of glasses to use when crisp distance vision is necessary, such as driving.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby test_pry » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:34 am

Thanks LasikExpert. I do have a question. I was not farsighted prior to the surgery. My only problem was i needed reading glasses. So now after surgery my reading problem is gone, but I now have a whole new problem requring glasses with distance. Are the distances glasses you mention permanent? or is enhancement possible at a latter time. Sure did not now this would be an issue prior to surgery.

Thanks in advance
test_pry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:11 pm

Welcome to the world of presbyopia - also known as the world of compromise.

Once the natural lens of the eye is unable to change focus due to presbyopia, you need to decide if you want the eye to be plano (distance vision) or myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted, near vision). You can no longer have both, and after corrective surgery you will need corrective lenses for whichever one you do not choose.

Presbyopia is permament and there is no "cure", only workarounds like monovision.

You probably have been hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) all of your life, but your natural lens was able to "focus around" the hyperopia until presbyopia made this less possible.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It