2001 Lasik and questioning enhancement

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

2001 Lasik and questioning enhancement

Postby nay2774 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:56 pm

I have been having trouble with my vision for the past few years and every time they check my eyes they say I could do it but stress against it because of Epithelial Ingrowth. I am thinking about getting glasses but I don't want to pay the 200 bucks when I haven't completely paid down the 5k the surgery was :) I am afraid to get glasses for driving cuz I know that I will want to wear them all time because I can't see and it's frustrating. My question is what is the dangers and what is Epithelial Ingrowth? I have lifetime guarantee so it won't cost me and I feel like they are just trying to scare me in to not having it done. Please help :)

Thanks
nay2774

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:32 pm

The epithelium is the outermost layer of cells on the cornea. Corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body. If epithelial cells get underneath the Lasik flap, they may do what cells do and that is divide and multiply.

Epithelial ingrowth is quite possibly one of the most benign potential complications of Lasik - if there is a proper response. If the cells are not causing a visual disturbance, the doctor may monitor the situation with no action. The cells may die and no longer be problematic. If the cells continue to multiply or interfere with vision, then the flap can be lifted, the cells removed, the area copiously flushed, and the flap repositioned. Flap lifts may be repeated as many times as necessary. In stubborn cases, a small amount of excimer energy to destroy any remaining cells.

If your doctors are concerned about epithelial ingrowth, then you may want to have PRK on the Lasik flap. This process would not require lifting the flap, so cells would not get underneath during surgery.

Do you know your current prescription?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby nay2774 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:14 am

on 3/29 this is what he wrote down for me to get glasses

-0.75 +0.50 x 010 od
-1.00 +0.50 x 170 os
It's hard to read but I think that is what it says.

So from what you described if I were to get Epithilial Ingrowth it's not something I have to live with it can be fixed? Is that safe to say?
nay2774

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:09 am

Yes, epithelial ingrowth is a problem that can be fixed. It can be stubborn, but there are more and more agressive techniques to resolve the problem.

You have very little refractive error and very little astigmatism. If you are nearing or past age 40, you may want to keep this small amount of mypoia. It will help with the symptoms of presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby nay2774 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:26 pm

I am only 32. It just seems to be getting worse even since that eye exam.

What is presbyopia?
nay2774

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:10 pm

Presbyopia is when the natural lens of the eye is not able to change shape to focus on objects near. It is when reading glasses or bifocals become necessary.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:46 pm

I've noticed that you say from time to time:

"If you are nearing or past age 40, you may want to keep this small amount of mypoia. It will help with the symptoms of presbyopia."

Why is slightly undercorrected for disctance better than the on the money correction for distance?

thanks
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:26 pm

Because of presbyopia, which is when the natural lens is less able to focus on objects near and reading glasses are required.

There are two ways of describing myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. One is that you cannot see items far away very well, and the other is that you can see items close well. Presbyopia makes it difficult for people with no refractive error (or farsighted) to see things close. A little myopia will counteract the effects of presbyopia and increase the clarity of near vision.

The best article about this would be regarding monovision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sunshellsea » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07 pm

I too had Lasik in 2001 and am considering an enhancement. My prescription is -1.25 in each eyes and -25 and -75 astigmatism. Anyhow, I finally got glasses for driving and you are right that you will want to wear them all the time. You don't know how much you can't see until you put the glasses on! I was going to wait on the enhancement, but now I am not so sure. If not, I am definitely going to have to consider contacts b/c I don't want to have to wear glasses all the time. Are you doing Custom or Conventional? I had Conventional in 2001 and they recommended it again, but I want to investigage Custom further.
sunshellsea

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:16 pm

You may want to read our article about Custom Wavefront Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago