RK in 87, Crystalens?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

RK in 87, Crystalens?

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:42 pm

I am a former patient (RK in 87) and am having minor vision issues.
Had checkup in Tucson about 18 months ago. Yesterday I heard about a new process called crystal lens. Is this something you are doing now? If yes, big question is what is cost for new procedure? I am living in Texas now, but if available and reasonable am interested.
Thanks
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:49 pm

Depending upon the actual cause of your problems, the CrystaLens or a conventional intraocular lens (IOL) may be a reasonable alternative.

RK patients are reporting two primary problems as they pass the 10-year postop period. One problem is fluctuation in vision throughout the day. If this fluctuation is caused by a cornea weakened by RK, then an intraocular lens is not going to fix your problem.

The other problem being widely reported is a shift toward hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision. This is often coupled with RK patients being at or over age 40 and subjected to presbyopia. Presbyopia is when the natural lens of the eye no longer is able to change focus from distant objects to near. This change in focusing is called accommodation. The combination of hyperopia and presbyopia provides poor vision at nearly all distances.

Refractive error such as myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) and hyperopia can usually be successfully corrected with the implant of any IOL. Fluctuations due to a weakened cornea cannot. There is some promising work on stabilization of RK with collagen crosslinking and Intacs, but an IOL will not stabilize a cornea. There is no "cure" for presbyopia, however the CrystaLens accommodating IOL can provide some accommodation for some patients.

I recommend you read about the CrystaLens. Read about Intacs for cornea stabilization. If you decide to have CrystaLens, at http://www.crystalens.com/TXDocs.html they have a list of Texas doctors currently implanting this lens. You may want to check if any are CRSQA Certified Refractive Surgeons, although our certification is not required to provide this service. If you visit the Crystalens website you will note that Houston is the home of one of the US FDA clinical investigators of the CrystaLens. Since practical experience is very, very important, I suggest you consider this surgeon and use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Doctorat to evaluate an uncertified surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago