Lasik and conjunctivits

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Lasik and conjunctivits

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:51 pm

I had lasik done just under a year ago. My wife & daughter both have conjunctivits. If by chance I end up with it, could there be serious complications or should my eyes be 100% healed by now?
Please respond

Thanks Jon
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:53 pm

Jon,

Your cornea is probably as healed as it is going to be, but the cornea does not heal like other parts of the body. For a detailed plain language article on the issue, read Lasik Flap Healing.

As you probably know, conjunctivitis can be easily transmitted from person to person. Don't be surprised if you get it, but also don't panic. Infection and inflammation of the conjunctiva is not likely to be significantly affected by your Lasik, nor will your Lasik likely be significantly affected by your conjunctivitis. For an ounce of prevention, give your refractive surgeon a call and tell him/her the situation. You may be prescribed medication as a preventative measure.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:01 am

thank you
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Return to Had It A While Ago