Dry eyes - my solution

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby DryEye » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:11 pm

I actually tried it for a few days and then stopped. I didn't notice anything, but I started it agin yesterday and will try to stay on it daily for a few weeks or longer to see if I notice anything different.
DryEye

Postby ColdFrixion » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:53 pm

I became curious about the brand product (of wheatgrass) you purchased and perused the website of the company that sells it. Although they (the company) claim their freezing process ensures that all nutrients are preserved, I'm somewhat skeptical, namely because freezing is typically believed to damage cell structure due to the formation of ice crystals.

The logic that quick freezing (in this case within 1.5 minutes) somehow ensures freshness over normal freezing strikes me as somewhat dubious, but who knows? I'm not sure I understand what difference it really makes but nevertheless, it certainly won't hurt to continue its use for a longer duration. I'd strongly encourage using a fresh variant of the plant if at all possible. In my experience, a number of freeze dried or frozen plant based supplements simply don't offer the same benefit as the fresh based counterpart.

Incidentally, did you notice any positive benefit in general at all from using it?
Last edited by ColdFrixion on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColdFrixion

Postby DryEye » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Thanks for doing so. I like people who are into the details.
You may be on to something. I think I noticed that effect with vitamin B-12. I tried it in the tablet version vs it being in some oatmeal product I picked up at Whole Foods (it also has some other ingredients in there grapeseed, vitamin B6 etc etc ) and think it works better for me.
I'll use this product and then try a daily dose of freshly squeezed for a while. I will have to find a place that sells freshly squeezed that is near me. It will be more expensive and time consuming, but well worth i if it ends up working!
Happy Thanksgiving!
DryEye

Postby ColdFrixion » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:06 pm

That's an excellent idea, and I very much look forward to hearing how the freshly squeezed variety works out for you, assuming the frozen variant fails to yield a more positive outcome.
ColdFrixion

Postby DryEye » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:16 pm

Do you buy it somehwhere and do it yourself?
DryEye

Postby ColdFrixion » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:35 pm

DryEye wrote:Do you buy it somehwhere and do it yourself?

I do. There's a health food grocery store in Houston called Whole Foods Market that sells the grass itself, and I use a manual (non-electric) wheatgrass juicer (specifically the Z-Star Juicer) to obtain the juice.
Last edited by ColdFrixion on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ColdFrixion

Postby DryEye » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:40 pm

They have Whole Foods by me as well. I will look into it. You mentioned earlier that you had nasal surgery shortly after lasik. Was your septum deviated? Sinuses? Was one eye dryer vs another before surgery, etc.? How did your eyes react to all that? You have lots of courage.
DryEye

Postby DryEye » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:41 pm

Is your vision more stable with more crispness and clarity now that your dry eye has resolved itself?
DryEye

Postby ColdFrixion » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:56 pm

DryEye wrote:They have Whole Foods by me as well. I will look into it.

Perfect, you would definitely be able to obtain it there. The Whole Foods Market here locally sells the plant prepackaged in plastic containers with an expiration stamp. Your location may sell the actual growing plant, which I personally prefer, however.

DryEye wrote:You mentioned earlier that you had nasal surgery shortly after lasik. Was your septum deviated? Sinuses?

It was strictly for cosmetic purposes. For the longest time I'd been dissatisfied with the width of my bridge and nostrils, as well as the overhang of the columella.

DryEye wrote:Was one eye dryer vs another before surgery, etc.? How did your eyes react to all that? You have lots of courage.

Understandably, I was initially very concerned in terms of how the surgery may potentially affect the post-LASIK healing process, either due to the nature of the surgical procedure itself or the post-surgical swelling which can often occur around the eyes. Although the doctor and nurses alike offered a very comforting amount of reassurance that my eyes were in good hands and that there should be no complications, I remained quite anxious.

After waking from the procedure however, I found that my eyes remained surprisingly unaffected. Further, I have not experienced any added complication as a result of the post-surgical swelling that occured around my eyes.

DryEye wrote:Is your vision more stable with more crispness and clarity now that your dry eye has resolved itself?

In my estimation, I seem to experience the same level of stability (in terms of crispness and clarity) that I'd previously experienced after having applied the drops and given them approximately 5 or so minutes to settle.

While I do still apply the drops, the interval between applications can range from 7 to 9 hours(or longer), whereas before I was applying them once approximately every 30 minutes (sometimes every 15) to one hour, and rarely was I able to exceed that time frame. I would say the contrast has been fundamentally drastic and extreme. Previously, when I felt a need to apply the drops, it was typically due to either a strong sensation of irritation (as though something were stuck in my eye such as an eyelash or my eyes would often sting -- sometimes both), blurring or both. Now however, I typically apply the drops to clear up very minute blurring, a light sensation of dryness or both. Again, the difference between the current and previous dry eye signals is very much night and day. My eyes almost never feel as though there's a foreign body stuck in them, and 9 times out of 10 if they do it's because there is(eg. an eyelash).
ColdFrixion

thanks for the tip ColdFrixion

Postby tiggy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:45 pm

:D

I am in Houston as well and find it ironic to have dry eye in the mist of all this humidity!!

I had PRK 2 weeks ago and have mild-moderate dry eye right now. However I am still on the steriod drops. I am very interested in new alternatives to help with dry eye for the long run. The reason I had PRK over Lasik was that I had dry eyes prior to surgery.

Currently I am taking flaxseed oil ( I like the taste) and testing out the wheat grass frozen cubes. Plus I use warm compresses every night.

Any update on your progress CF or DE?

Tiggy
tiggy

Re: thanks for the tip ColdFrixion

Postby ColdFrixion » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:46 pm

tiggy wrote:Any update on your progress CF or DE?

Not a lot has changed in my case, although I did discover that not hydrating myself with the proper amount of water tends to cause regression, even when wheatgrass is consumed on a regular basis. Therefore, I currently believe there's some sort of synergy taking place in the body between the water and wheatgrass.
ColdFrixion

Postby yawny » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:40 am

Do you mix this wheat grass juice with something, or do you just drink it straight? Also have you had any indigestion or stomach aches associated with this. I have GERDS, so I have to be careful of new things. Thanks.
yawny

Postby ColdFrixion » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:00 am

yawny wrote:Do you mix this wheat grass juice with something, or do you just drink it straight? Also have you had any indigestion or stomach aches associated with this. I have GERDS, so I have to be careful of new things. Thanks.

Although it shouldn't hurt you to consume it straight(myriad people do), I generally mix it with fresh carrot juice.
ColdFrixion

Previous

Return to Just Had It