irregular astigmatism

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

irregular astigmatism

Postby Cynthia » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:35 pm

I have been told that I am not a candidate for lasik because I have irregular astigmatism. Can you help me understand this diagnosis? Is it worth pursuing with another surgeon? My Contact RX is: 8.3 Base curve for both:
Right -5.0
Left -3.75/-1.25 130 Axis

Thanks for your help.
Cynthia

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:45 am

Regular astigmatism is when the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. The "tip" of the spoon is the astigmatism. Irregular astigmatism means multiple spoon tips or similar corneal irregularity. Irregular astigmatism is somewhat a catch-phrase for an irregular cornea.

You may be able to find a surgeon who will provide refractive surgery for you, but irregular astigmatism can be very challenging for today's technology and techniques.

If you have not already, consider trying rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact lenses. They not only correct refractive error like your moderate myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision, but they can also resolve some irregular astigmatism.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It