PRK - One Eye at a Time or Both

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK - One Eye at a Time or Both

Postby dsatterw8 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:51 am

I am considering a PRK (thin corneas) procedure and can't decide on doing my eyes separate or both together.

Any idea what % go for both at same time? What's been the general feeling of folks on this site post-op about which approach is better.

I have two weeks of vacation available so I have the flexibility to do either. I'm concerned about the first few days (what will I do with myself) if I go for both. I'm concerned if one at a time will cause headaches, etc...

Also, if I have one at a time, can I wear a contact in the uncorrected eye inbetween?

Thanks
dsatterw8

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:48 am

There is likely no difference in the long-term outcome whether you have surgery one eye at a time or both together, however your vision will very likely be disrupted for at least three days or more. If you are able to function with only functional fuzzy vision for a while, then both at the same time may be appropriate.

My personal experience with PRK leads mre to me recommend one eye at a time. That is a personal recommendation, not one based upon medical studies.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby anny » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:23 am

I'd agree with Glenn. Two weeks ago I had Epi-lasik, but the epithelial layer was discarded, so in effect it was prk. I only had it done in one eye as I am hoping for a good outcome with monovision, and I have been very lucky in that I only had a couple of days of moderate pain/discomfort, rather than extreme, long-lasting pain that some people seem to have experienced. Although my eyes seem to be healing really well (touch wood!) there are still times when my treated (distance eye) goes blurry but I still have the untouched sight in my close vision eye, which can be corrected by using a contact lens.

If you are at all near the age of presbyopia (40s + I believe) doing it one at a time also gives you the chance of assessing whether monovision is the way to go......that's what I've done and if it doesn't seem to work I'll get the other eye done to match in about 6 mths time and get some readers for close up.

In the end, it's very much a personal decision as to whether you want to get it over and done with in one go and whether you can take time out twice.
anny

Postby dsatterw8 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:18 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Ended up having both eyes done on 12/15 and glad I did both at once to get it out of the way while I had the time off. Was good enough to drive within a week of the surgery (only during day and sticking to places I'm familiar with).

The slow healing process of PRK is a little frustrating, seems like I havn't made much progress from days 7-11 ... I'll just be patient I guess.
dsatterw8

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:45 pm

Please keep us informed of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It