Opinions on my chances

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Opinions on my chances

Postby audrey » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 am

I am 33 y.o. chinese woman who has worn spectacles since age 10. I tried contact 10 years ago but never took well to them. My eyes got dry really fast. Could only wear them for 4 hours.

I'm thinking about getting laser correction.

My myopia is:
Right eye: 4.5 myopia;2 astigmatism
Left eye:4.25 myopia;2.5 astigmatism

(hope I got those values right)

Other issues:I see floaters and get haloes and spears when looking directly into a light especially upon waking up. My entire family is predisposed to being myopic. My health is good.

My reason for the surgery is wanting to do more sports and outdoor activities.

Any recommendations...?
audrey

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:44 pm

Be open to alternatives. Your myopia is within the treatable range for Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages and it may be that no surgery technique is appropriate.

Dry eyes is a problem that needs to be resolved or managed before having elective surgery. We have an article about Lasik and Dry Eyes that you may find helpful.

Your astigmatism is relatively high. Although in the treatable range, astigmatism may be a greater challenge. Discuss in detail with your doctor the probability of resolving all astigmatism with the initial surgery and if enhancement surgery may be necessary.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It