Test Post

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Test Post

Postby pjt » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:06 am

Hello Glenn:

I just discovered this website; what a great resource for objective information concerning laser vision correction surgery.

Here's my story: I am a 52 year olf male who has been wearing eyeglasses since grade school. My current Rx reads a s follows: O.D.= -2.00; -2.25; 105, and the O.S.= -2.50; -1.50; 075.

I have considered laser vision correction on and off over the past 5 or 6 years. However, the one consideration that has held me back is a concern that I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than a 20/20 outcome.

I've presumed that advancements in equipment technology, and experience with hundreds of thousands of procedures would increase my chances for satisfactory results, but I'm wondering if I'm kidding myself. Is it possible for the best surgeon using the best equipment to achieve 20/20 results given the degree of correction required in my case?

My surgeon is a 50 year old man who has been performing refractive surgery since the late 1980's. He has performed over 1000 Lasik procedures, and currently uses Wavelight Allegretto equipment (which I'm told is state-of-the-art). Consequently, I believe that I'm dealing with an experienced, competent surgeon using the latest/greatest equipment. So, is it possible for me to expect 20/20 vision after all is said and done?

Thanks for the benefit of your opinion. I apprecaite the opportunity to pose these questions, and appreciate tour valued perspective (and those of other board participants).

Kind Regards,

Phil T.
pjt

Re: Test Post

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:35 am

pjt wrote:I have considered laser vision correction on and off over the past 5 or 6 years. However, the one consideration that has held me back is a concern that I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than a 20/20 outcome.

You have already answered your own question.

The most anyone can expect from Lasik is the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses. To achieve that convenience, you need to accept some risk. You have stated clearly that you are not willing to accept the risk of a less than 20/20 outcome. Lasik is about a reduced need for glasses, nothing more.

At age 52 you will need reading glasses at least part of the time. Even monovision Lasik will not eliminate the need for glasses in all circumstances. Your astigmatism is rather high and more challenging to correct.

There is no way anyone can guarantee you a perfect outcome, and you already expect that you will be dissatisfied with anything less. It is always good to know your own limitations. If you cannot accept the very real limitations of refractive surgery, then it is best to decline.

Lasik is not for everyone. You know what you require for success and there will always be a chance, no matter how slim, that you will not get what you require.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby peakaboo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:05 am

Then again, you could have lasik and worse case is you're not exactly 20/20 or better, but can can still get a nice pair of glasses if you feel you need to see better in certain circumstances like at night or when reading. Provided there are no complications, downside is minimal, other than spending some $$.

My lasik surgeon has performed over 9000 surgeries, and my vision is not perfect (very close to 20/20), but it's pretty damn good compared to what I had (-6.5 in both eyes). Not fuddling with contacts is worth the money for me.
peakaboo

Return to Thinking About It