Will Micro-Lasik get better or similiar flap than Intralase?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Will Micro-Lasik get better or similiar flap than Intralase?

Postby lance » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:51 am

Hi there,
One of my friends recommended me Dr. Robert T. Lin in Los Angeles area. I would like to check if anybody has any comments about Dr. Lin? Is he an excellent Lasik doctor?

I am told Dr. Lin is a pioneer in ultra-thin flap Lasik called MICRO-LASIK. Supposedly MICRO-LASIK only cuts around 100 mc (which is comparable to Intralase, and is better than regular microkeratome of 150 mc) and it will lead less dry eyes, decreased weakening of the cornea, and more available treatmetn options.

What do you think about this claim? Does this Micro-Lasik technique (which still uses microkeratome to make the flap) really comparable with Intralase all laser technology? Does Interalase really have clear advantage over microkeratome?

BTW, Dr. Lin uses Alcon LADAR Vision CustomCornea. How does this compare to industry leading laser machine - Visx S4 ?

Thanks a lot in advance!
lance

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:17 am

Dr. Robert Lin is certified by our organization, so I can recommend him without hesitation.

Many recent studies indicate that a thin flap lowers the incidence of Lasik related dry eye, speeds recovery, and is less traumatic on the cornea. A recent study has indictated that the long-term outcomes of Lasik with a mechanical microkeratome and Lasik with a laser microkeratome are essentially the same. The difference may be in the relative accuracy of the flap thickness. Intralase is reportedly has a smaller variable, however this difference may not be an issue for your individual circumstance.

All excimer lasers have their advantages and disadvantages and all needs of an individual patient are unique. I recommend that you discuss your concerns directly with your doctor and ask how this particular laser may be advantageous to you. It may be that any laser is fine, it may be that the unique properties of one laser are important for your needs. The Alcon LADARVision and the Visx S4 have similar results in several studies.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Does Micro-Lasik help?

Postby lance » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:13 pm

Thanks Glenn for the response, that's very helpful.

As I mentioned in my original posting, Dr. Lin is using so-called Micro-Lasik (which still uses blade), but he claims that flap will be around 100 mc to 130 mc (which is comparable to Interlase and better than regular MK 150 mc).

Is this true? are there any benefit of Micro-Lasik vs. regular MK?

Thanks!
lance

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:08 pm

A 100-130 micron flap is able to be created with a mechanical microkeratome as well as a laser microkeratome and is becoming rather common. Of course, the people who sell the laser microkeratome will tell you that their system is more reliable, but both seem to do well.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It