Dilated pupils and such

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Dilated pupils and such

Postby ssmarsh8 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:55 pm

Hi there. I had a pre-op exam today, which included dilating my pupils. I wanted to receive Custom Wavefront diagnostics as well, but the receptionist who booked my appointment sent me to a location not equipped with the Wavefront machine. Thus, I'm going to a different location (same doctor) tomorrow to have it done.

My concern is that my pupils will still be dilated and somehow mar the custom LASIK measurements. Is this test simply to see whether Custom Wavefront can help me, or does it garner measurements that will be used in my actual surgery (about a month away)? Surely the doctor would've mentioned if dilated pupils would mess up the Wavefront measurements, but I thought I'd check here too.

Oh--I also have one other concern. I enjoyed better-than-perfect vision most of my adolescence and got mild glasses for -1.25 nearsightedness at age 20. I'm now 26, with one eye at -1.75 and one at -2.00. The doctor didn't seem concerned about stability of my current prescription, which obviously has changed in the last couple years. Perhaps my script is so low that it's a negligible change. He insisted that vision stabilizes by my age, despite the fact that my nearsightedness first appeared not-so-long ago.

Thanks SOOOO much for your help!
Sarah
ssmarsh8

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:42 pm

Pharmacologically dilated pupils may affect the wavefront scan results. I highly recommend that you call your doctor's office straight away and ask if you need to reschedule the wavefront diagnostic. Even if they don't feel concerned, there is no harm in ceciding to wait a little longer for the exam.

Stability in refractive error is important for you to understand what to expect from Lasik. Your eyes will continue to change with surgery at the same rate they would have changed without surgery. You won't want to have surgery and then a couple of year later need glasses again. Normal human fluctuation in vision is about 0.25 diopters, so this much should not concern you. A look at your eyeglass prescription history will help you with this issue.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Wavefront guided Laser need eye dilation?

Postby lance » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:15 am

I have a similar question.

I understand the requirement of dilation is dfferent with different laser machines. For example, Visx S4 CustomView dose NOT require eye dilation at time of surgery, but Alcon LadarVision Custom Cornea DOES require eye dilation at surgery time. I was told without dilation is better as sometimes the right surgery area will move to wrong place under dilation, tha sometimes causes undersiable results.

Is this true? Which way (dilated or not dilated) produce best results?

Thanks!
lance

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:19 am

Both laser systems have been designed to provide outcomes that are considered safe and effective by the FDA, but they each take a different path to that destination. Alcon requires dilation, Visx does not. That does not make one better than the other. It is a case of different ways of doing the same thing.

There does not seem to be a significant difference in the outcomes between these two for the majority of patients, however different tools are sometimes required for different purposes. If both are appropriate for your individual needs, then both will statistically have about the same probability of providing the desired result.

What you will find is that there are “Visx people” and “Alcon people” and “Zyoptix people” and “Allegretto people” and all seem to think their system is the best. While it may be impossible to determine which is “best”, there is not enough difference in outcomes for moderate myopes to say that any is “worst”.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It