Vigamox drops

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Vigamox drops

Postby ssmarsh8 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm

I have scheduled custom Wavefront LASIK on a Zyoptix machine in late January! When I signed on, an assistant began writing me a prescription for Vigamox antibiotic drops to be taken 4x a day for one week, beginning the day before surgery. I asked whether it would be expensive to fill, and she informed me that it's like $80 for a 3ml bottle! She immediately offered to get me a free sample so I wouldn't have to buy it Clearly their policy must be to give it to those who express concern over money... seeing as the surgery will be a big financial burden to someone of my income levels, I did think it was preposterous for the drops not to be included in a $5,200 procedure (custom surgery on both eyes, including all follow-up visits and enhancement surgery if needed in first year).

My question is, do I have enough of the drops to get by with the sample? She gave me a 1ml bottle, and following doctor's orders will require 28 drops, plus maybe a little room for error in missing the eye a couple times.

Thanks! This forum is really great.
ssmarsh8

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:58 pm

The 1ml size is probably not quite enough. You should make arrangements to have additional samples available or purchase the 3ml bottle.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby maria22 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:21 pm

I was quite surprised at the additional costs for medication after Lasik.
My first presciption included the anti-biotic eye drops (one small bottle was included in my post-surgery set along with some artificial tears) and several types of eye drops and cost be about 80 Euro. Since then, I've had to purchase rather large quantitis of artifial tears, which aren't cheap either. And I'm only a little over 2 weeks post-OP....
It's not even that this is an issue after a 4000 Euro procedure, but I think it would have been nice to know beforehand to plan for the extra cost of these drops. Perhaps the doctors think that people who get Lasik are rich enough and that it's not worth mentioning?
My follow-up exams each year will also cost me 150 Euro each, a cost which the doctor dismissed as 'peanuts'.... :(
maria22

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:41 pm

I agree that patients should be provided with a full itemization of the total cost for surgery and treatment. A US Congressional subcommittee recently heard testimony about concerns with Lasik price issues.

Because the doctor considers 150 Euro for follow-up exams as "peanuts", perhaps you should ask that he wave this fee that he considers inconsequential.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It