Astigmatism, multiple images?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Astigmatism, multiple images?

Postby lukasdf » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:42 pm

I had (intralase) Lasik done a little over six weeks ago, and while I’m generally happy with the outcome, I have been having some problems.
I was quite short-sighted (about -7.75 left eye, with -1.50 astigmatism, right eye -7.5 with -1.50 astigmatism). Prior to the surgery, my right eye was always the better one, and also very much dominant. My left pupil has a tendency to look larger than the right (no reason for this has ever been detected, and it has caused no problems).

Vision now is very good with my left eye, but less so with the right. While my night vision is almost as good as before the surgery, I get lots of glare/halos, like a faint fog, around bright (especially white) objects in daylight, which can be irritating and affects contrast vision.

In good lighting conditions, I see a ghost or weaker image a little to the left of the original image (which nevertheless appears quite sharp). This bothers me most in near and middle distance, such as looking at my computer keyboard or at the floor. In weaker light, I see even more ghost images, one to the top and a faint one to the left of the main image. Edges of bright objects, such as pieces of paper, have a “double edge” on the left and top sides which look like a halo. Looking at an LED, I see one main dot in the middle, plus three slightly streaky ones, left, right, and below. Looking a white dot on a black background, the dot has a comet’s tail to the left, and a fainter image of a dot above it.

I wonder if this is an effect of (irregular?) astigmatism, and what I should do about it? Is there a possibility that it will resolve by itself? Could it be flap edema? Should I try and get a pair of glasses? I’ve just been trying to ignore it but that doesn’t seem to work since my right eye is so dominant. My next aftercare appointment is almost 2 months away, so I’m hoping for some advice….
Thanks!
lukasdf
lukasdf

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:56 pm

You need to request a doctor's appointment now, not in two months. The cause of these problems needs to be diagnosed and appropriately treated.

The daytime halo/glare may be due to corneal edema. This is a known complication of Lasik flaps created with a femtosecond laser. This edema can cause photosensitivity, daytime halo, glare, and irregular ghosting.

The single and more clear ghosting may be due to residual astigmatism, but until edema is resolved it will be difficult to know what is edema and what is astigmatism.

Ask your doctor for a refraction (which is better, one or two) that will provide your current prescription and you will know how much of the vision problems can be resolved with corrective lenses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lukasdf » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:33 am

I have my present prescription now:
R: sph -1.50 cyl +1.50 axis 95
L: sph plano cyl +0.50 axis 105

In the right eye it looks as though sph and cyl cancel each other out - but they don't really do they! With my right eye I see everything slightly blurred, with a ghost image to the left...
I'm hoping the right eye will improve, as it's quite annoying, esp. at work...
lukasdf

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:57 pm

If only minus sphere and plus cylinder would cancel each other out! This is enough residual refractive error that you may want to discuss if enhancement surgery would be appropriate.

It sounds like you continue to have edema or transient light sensitivity problems. This does not happen often, but it is a known complication. The transient light sensitivity normally resolves with time, but it can be weeks/months rather than days.

The doubled ghost image is undoubtedly due to your astigmatism. This is a classic symptom of uncorrected astigmatism. If you were to have a pair of glasses made (or enhancement surgery) that corrects your refractive error, this ghosting should disappear. You have more than enough residual refractive error to justify a pair of glasses or, if considered appropriate by your doctor, a toric contact lens for your right eye.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lukasdf » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:49 am

Thanks for your comments. I think I'll get some glasses for the time being, perhaps with a slight tint to help with the light sensitivity/glare problems. I'm scheduled to see my eye surgeon again in mid-January, so will ask about enhancement options then.
Thanks so much,
lukasdf.
lukasdf

Postby lukasdf » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Well, I got my pair of glasses today, and the good news is:
1) they make vision in my left eye even sharper and
2) they practically eliminate the right-to-left blur in my right eye.
But the bad news is, when I put them on I get quite a distinct double image just over, and overlapping, the real image! So I wonder what's happening here? Could they be too strong or is it irregular astigmatism?
Will definitely ask to see the surgeon again in January...

Thanks,

lukasdf
lukasdf

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:30 am

Report your doubled vision problem to whoever provided the glasses. They may not be correct to your prescription and for the width of your eyes. They should replicate whatever was achieved during your manifest refraction (which is better, one or two) that generated your prescription.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It