BCVA

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

BCVA

Postby peakaboo » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:44 am

Well, I just had a 4-month followup appointment and apparently my vision got worse. The problem is, no matter what the doctor did with the correctable lenses ("which is better, one or two"), I could not make out any lines below 20/30. Doctor thinks it is dry eye related, prescribed Restasis and asked me to come back in a couple of months. Is this normal? I don't think it is regression because the residual myopia would have been correctable with lenses. What are the chances my BCVA will improve once the dry eye is under control? I bought a humidifier for the bedroom while sleeping, which is the worst time for experiencing dry eye.
peakaboo

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:15 am

You are correct that simple refractive error would undoubtedly have been able to be corrected with lenses. Dry eye can dramatically affect vision quality. Does your vision improve when you apply preservative free eye drops? You should read our article on Lasik and Dry Eye.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:36 pm

What if one's vision does improve after using preservative free tears?
Is that a rule of thumb that vision quality/crispness is a dry eye issue vs refractive error?
In other words, if one goes into the eye doc. and does not use tears vs using tears both vision tests will be different.
If no tears are used maybe they are 20/30 and if tears are used maybe they are 20/20 20/15.
How is one to know in the example above whether he/she is dealing with refractive error or dry eye?
Thanks
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:24 pm

Much depends upon the patient's tear breakup time (TBUT) and Shirmer's test and corneal health. If healthy eyes are not dry by objective measurement and examination, then improvement in vision clarity with artificial tears is probably due to refractive change. If the eyes are dry, improvement would likely be due to replentishing the tear film plus change in refractive error.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:38 pm

So, get tested.
But, if one likes the way he/she sees after inserting tears without refractive error correction there is a chance that dry eye may be the cause?
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:02 pm

Absolutely.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby peakaboo » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:09 am

I can't really say whether or not drops make my vision better...maybe slightly, but I can't be sure. Prior to my appointment, I used preservative free drops and apparently it did not really help. I'm guessing that my dry eye is affecting the way the flap is healing or somehow preventing the cornea from allowing my vision to be corrected. I don't know if this is corneal haze, issues with the flap, surface anomalies, or some other cause, but it's a little disconcerting that even glasses can't make me see better at the moment. Hopefully the doc knows what is going on and there will be improvement with the restasis.

On the other hand, my vision is not terrible, so it's not all bad. I was pretty much blind as a bat prior to the surgery without my contacts in.
peakaboo

Return to Had It A While Ago