Lasik and Starbursts

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik and Starbursts

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:52 pm

Hello.,

Thanks for the wealth of information here.

I had lasik around 4.5 months ago. I still notice starbursts in the night time while driving around the headlights of the vehicles. Also maybe a little sensitveness towards those lights.

Will it go away? How long will it take?

Thanks
Mike
Mike

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:57 pm

At 4.5 months postop you will have realized most of the effects from your surgery. It is possible that you will have improvement, but the probability of improvement will depend upon exactly why you are having the starbusting in low light environments.

Did you happen to have all laser Lasik (IntraLasik) with a laser created flap? Do you have a current prescription? Is your distance vision in the daytime as crisp as it was before surgery with glases/contacts or is it slightly less crisp? Other than predicting it will get better, what has your doctor said about the night vision difficulties?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:00 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I had the Intralasik with laser created flap. Before surgery I had -2.75 on left eye and -2.5 on right eye. After the surgery I have
+0.25 in left eye and -0.5 in right eye. The vision is still not crisp as before the surgery that is another thing that I need to followup
with my doctor. My doctor has been asking me to give it more time.
Mike

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:03 am

I suspect that your night vision problem is related to the small amount of residual refractive error. You may want to talk to your doctor about some disposable contact lenses or glasses to correct this residual error and see if/how much it resolves the night vision problems.

Light sensitivity would commonly mean that you experience pain with normal - but bright - light. If you are describing a change in vision quality without pain, then what you describe may be related to the residual refractive error. If by light sensitivity you mean pain, it may be related to the use of a femtosecond laser to create the Lasik flap. Transient light sensitivity related to a femtosecond laser tends to be day and night, not just at night and does resolve with healing and/or treatment. Treatment for IntraLasik related light sensitivity is sometimes steroid eye drops.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It