Lazy or weakeye

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lazy or weakeye

Postby Jesus Morones » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:30 am

I was told by my Doctor that my vision in my left eye is 20/200 and 20/40 on my right eye my ? to you is would lasik surgery correct that 20/200 on my left eye.thx Jesse
Jesus Morones

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 pm

Jesus,

If your vision is 20/200 with glasses (Best Corrected Visual Acuity, BCVA), then Lasik and other forms of refractive surgery will not resolve your underlying problem.

Amblyopia, often called "lazy eye", is commonly caused by strabismis, when the eyes are not correctly aligned such as crosseyed. During the developing years the brain is confused by the misaligned images and literally ignores the information from one eye. This can cause low quality vision even if light entering the eye is properly focused with glasses, contacts, or Lasik. Amblyopia is a neurological process that does not relate to the optics of the eye, therefore cannot be resolved by changing the eye's optics.

We have an article about strabismus and amblyopia that you may find interesting.

You may find this source for low vision information helpful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It