CK problems

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

CK problems

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:18 am

I had ck surgery last Friday and have had complications since surgery. Had lots of pain at 1st, still having tearing problems, vision is not better, but worse...fortunately since I work, I am able to see the computer screen; however, not able to see distance well enough to drive. Am am tearing frequently....still.
I have been told they can "fix" the problems once my eyes have healed - apprx. 6 weeks from now. I am very scared and apprehensive about having another surgery...glasses
because of the now periferial problem won't be an option and I cannot wear contacts because of my sensitivity.
How can I get additional information and assistance to make
this decision on what is the best avenue for me now? I really need to get my vision corrected.
Thanks,
Susan
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:22 am

Susan,

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties.

I am assuming that you have had CK in one eye to help with reading, not in both eyes to correct hyperopia. You may want to read Conductive Keratoplasty NearVision CK

CK is a process that causes shrinkage in a circle around the outside of the cornea. This shrinkage causes the central portion of the cornea to move forward. This creates a hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) shift, making you more myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted).

CK for monovision (NearVision CK) deliberately causes an imbalance between the eyes. For most people, this imbalance provides adequate near and distance vision. For some, the imbalance is intolerable. See monovision for details on this process.

If the CK surgery created an irregularity in your cornea, such as astigmatism, the quality of your vision will be quite poor and even worse in low light environments, such as driving at night. These irregularities often resolve with healing. Those patients who have had problems seem to have poor vision a few days or hours after surgery that seems to get worse until about four weeks postop, then the cornea stabilizes and provides improvement in the following weeks. It is a undesired process, but it does happen on occasion.

My recommendation is to allow your eyes to heal as long as you find it tolerable. Use contact lenses if required, but they may slow the healing process. If after 6-8 weeks you do not have any improvement, and your problems are due to astigmatism, then consider additional "bonus spots" to resolve the astigmatism.

Several patients throughout the world have gone through this process and ultimately received good vision. Some did need additional surgery, but some needed nothing more than healing.

My one caution would be to NOT have a permanent surgery to correct any problem induced solely by CK. The effects from CK are temporary. If you do absolutely nothing at all, eventually all CK effects will dissipate and your eye will return to its condition before surgery. What you don't want to do is use a permanent correction technique such as LASIK, PRK, or LASEK to correct problems induced by a temporary procedure.

Think of astigmatism as a bump on the cornea induced by CK. LASIK can get rid of that bump, but eventually the forces that caused that bump will dissipate. That would leave you with a hole. You would go from one problem into another.

After the initial six-month healing process, CK regresses at a rate of about 0.25 to 0.50 diopters a year.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:23 am

Thanks so much for the response - I did have CK in both eyes...to correct distance and computer use, I planned to have to wear reading glasses, but that was not a problem for me - I thought that would be a good trade off from wearing progressive lenses in my glasses.
I can't tolerate contact lens, so I have worn glasses for
about 10 years.
I am so interested in your comments. Thank you for such
the information. I am waiting for my eyes to adjust, then I hope I will be able to wear glasses again. It was a very painful experience...I am probably the 1 in a million to have this much trouble. But thanks again for the info.
Susan
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:26 am

So then you are hyperopic and presbyopic. Thank makes a bit of difference, but for the most part what I replied will apply.

Pain is not something that is normally associated with CK. This is quite rare. Please keep in touch with me regarding your healing and progress. I discuss these rare complication cases with the manufacturer of the CK device and know that they would be interested in such an unusual healing process.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:19 am

Will do - I could not open my eyes because of the massive
tearing from Friday about 20 minutes after surgery and the pain - eyes felt like they had so much sand/or some type of foreign matter in them - both of them - really badly til mid day Sunday. I was given pain medication on my return visit that Saturday a.m., but by Sunday at 4:00 am I woke up with a very intense headache, realized I was probably terribly dehydrated, and drank water, gatorade and ate a banana. But still couldn't open my eyes until late in the afternoon, and only just a little bit at a time.
Even today, 1 day shy of 2 weeks, I continue to tear at
random, and cannot drive a car...have to ride with friends to work. Can't wait for this ordeal to be over, but really appreciate your info.
Thanks again - Susan
GeneralPatientInquiry

Return to Just Had It