eye drops

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

eye drops

Postby maria22 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:03 am

Would it be advisable to continue the use of artificial tears for a certain amount of time after Lasik even if eyes don't feel dry?
I'm 3 weeks post-op, and I have made it a habit to put in drops every few hours. I wonder if I should back off a little bit and let the natural tear film regenerate itself? Would it be better to use the drops in regular intervals or just when eyes feel dry?
Thanks in advance for your help!
maria22

Postby WaTeR » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:07 am

Hello Maria.
Well, in my opinion you should back off, leaving the drops slowly, but dont expand it for weeks. At least that's what they use to tell me (docs)
WaTeR

which way is correct?

Postby lance » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:51 pm

looks like different doctors tell their patients differently. I just had my surgey two days ago. During the one day post-op exam, the doctor stressed a couple of times that I should use tear drop at least 12 times a day (the more the better) for at least 4 months, then continue to use tear drop for another 8 months with at least 6 times a day. He indicated that will ensure me the best vision results, otherwise there will be larger chance for my eye sight to regress.

So which way is the correct way?

Thanks!
lance

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:16 am

Lance,

You indicated in another thread that you had pre-existing dry eyes. It would be reasonable to expect to need more dry eye treatment after Lasik than someone who had normal tearing before surgery.

The most correct dry eye treatment is the one recommend by your doctor that works. We have an article on dry eye treatment techniques that you may find helpful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby maria22 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:58 pm

If there were no dry-eye indications before Lasik, would it be better to continue using the drops for a certain period of time to help the eyes heal or would it be safe to taper off when eyes don't feel dry?

Also, this has nothing to do with eye drops, but I have gotten some conflicting information about when it would be safe to use the sauna and steambath again after Lasik. How long should I wait?
maria22

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:12 pm

During surgery the nerves that tell you that your eyes are dry are disrupted and you may not be getting the correct signals. It would probably be best to continue using the preservative-free artificial tears until your doctor says they are no longer needed, even if they do not feel dry.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It