remaining astigmatism

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

remaining astigmatism

Postby maria22 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:10 pm

4 weeks after Lasik, my left eye shows remaining astigmatism of 0.5 dp. Is this likely to improve/ worsen or stabilize during the next 2 months? And would an enhancement be appropriate if this is the final result?
My vison seems really, really good compared to what I could see before the surgery. I'm a little worried about possibly needing an enhancement in just on eye.

Thanks in advance,
Maria
maria22

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:16 pm

You need to wait at least three months after surgery or until all healing has completed so you can be sure the remaining astigmatism is not due to edema (swelling) or dry eye issues.

I believe that you should have enhancement surgery only if the residual refractive error actually causes vision function problems, your doctor advises to have enhancement surgery, and you are aware/willing to accept the risks.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:37 pm

The statement, "You need to wait at least three months after surgery or until all healing has completed so you can be sure the remaining astigmatism is not due to edema (swelling) or dry eye issues."

Healing may take longer for some than others, so how does one know all healing is complete before deciding on enhancement?

I have talked to some that have said they used artificial tears and had vision improvement up to a year after lasik????

So, I ask how does one truly know when their healing and final vision outcome has been completed? 2 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?

Is it the feeling one has on their eyes and vision stability on a day to day basis over a monthly period?

Thanks
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:46 am

DryEye wrote:Healing may take longer for some than others, so how does one know all healing is complete before deciding on enhancement?

When the vision becomes stable, which is usually from three to six months postop.

DryEye wrote:I have talked to some that have said they used artificial tears and had vision improvement up to a year after lasik????

Yes, there are those who had lingering problems that resolved late.

DryEye wrote:So, I ask how does one truly know when their healing and final vision outcome has been completed? 2 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?

A time period is somewhat arbitrary. Stabiliztion is the key. For purposes of determing if a patient has an unresolved complication, our organization uses six months postop. We could use seven months or five, but mosts Lasik studies show that, statistically, little change occurs after the six month point. That does not mean that changes cannot and do not occur. It just means that for reporting purposes and based upon the outcomes of the majority, we have chosen six months.

DryEye wrote:Is it the feeling one has on their eyes and vision stability on a day to day basis over a monthly period?

You could drive yourself (and your doctor) nuts by checking your eyes every day. Keep in mind that some fluctuation is normal. It occurred before surgery and it will occur after surgery.

Most doctors examine Lasik patients at day of surgery, one-day, one week, one month, three months, six months, and one year. This varies from doctor to doctor. A refraction (which is better, one or two?) is commonly not provided until three months postop, and then only if the patient does not do well on the Snellen chart (Big "E").
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:59 am

Thanks

So far Custom Lasik hasn't worked like it is sold for me.

I have days where it's fine, but many others that fall short in the proper amount of vision correction, which makes me wonder if more time is needed or a possible enhancement down the road.

It's enough where it does make a difference.

Bottomline, if your going to do lasik you want it to be on the money and not fall short or over - custom i thought was supposed to be very good at delivering that.

As usual thanks!
DryEye

Return to Just Had It