Haze after Epi Lasek

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Haze after Epi Lasek

Postby Duratorque » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:32 pm

I had Epi Lasek on my left eye 9 days ago. It was painful for two days with my eye becoming very red with heavy discharge. The bandage lens was removed after 4 days. I was told the epihelium had not grown back at the centre at that time but should be fine after a few days. I am still using FML eye drops.

My vision was not bad on the first day, but it is really bad on the left eye from day two/three. There is a lot of haze and and slight ghosting. It was +0.5 with 1.5 astigmatism before, not great but OK. I am due back at the clinic in 4 days time. I am worried my vision will not get better. From most posts here, vision gets better after a few days.

Is this normal? I would like to know if this will go away with time? I now wished I did not done this now. Anyone out there who had this experience before? How long did it take for your vision to get better?

Thanks
Yat
Duratorque

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:22 am

This is not "normal", however what you are dealing with is known. It is very reasonable to expect vision to settle down and clear up with healing. The epithelium is regenerating, thickening, and smoothing. This will take time. Expect continued gradual improvement over the next few weeks, but some lingering irregularities may take longer to resolve.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Duratorque » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:58 am

Glenn,

Thanks for your reply. My vision is getting better but no where as good as before Epi-Lasek. Vision first thing in the morning is the best and then it gets worse. Also my eye is slightly swollen when I wake up in the morning, but it goes bck to normal very quickly. I still suffer from ghosting. It is now 17 days since Epi Lasek. I will try to update on my progress.
Duratorque

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:13 am

The fact that you have temporary periods of good vision is actually a very good sign. It means that the vision problems relate primarily to refractive error. It sounds like you are having healing issues that may be exacerbated by dry eye. Be sure you notify your doctor of these symptoms for a professional opinion.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Duratorque » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:15 am

Just an update to my progess. The haze is now greatly reduced but it is still there and causing problems with my vision. I hope the improvment continues as in the last two weeks. Ghosting is still there but also reducing.

Vision is still worse than before Epi Lasek and I am concerned it will not get any better. Anyone else out there can give me their experience?
Duratorque

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:27 pm

I do not have studies to show this phenomenon, but anecdotal information indicates that Epi-Lasik may have a short roller-coaster ride type of healing pattern.

Immediately postop many patients find vision to be a bit limited, but relatively good. This is because the epithelial "flap" is in pretty good shape, however the process of creating the epithelial flap mortally wounds all those cells. As days progress the cells die and need to be replaced by new cells. Epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, but it does take them a bit of time to go through the process of one cell dying, being expelled, and a new cell taking its place. During this process some slightly opaque cells can scatter light passing through the epithelium and cause hazy vision.

Because the epithelial cells die at a different pace, not all at once, the process of death, expel, and recovery can last several weeks – even a couple of months in severe cases. The process can include an uneven epithelium as some areas resolve faster than others. An uneven epithelium can contribute to ghosting and vision quality problems. Compounding the situation is the presence of dry eye after surgery, which itself can cause uneven healing.

All these issues can make a recovery process wherein the immediate hours and couple of days after surgery have reasonably good vision, vision quality goes downhill for several days or even weeks, then as the epithelium is fully replaced the vision quality slowly goes up again.

Be sure to report all your vision concerns to your doctor to be sure this and any other problem is promptly diagnosed and treated.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Duratorque » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:41 am

Another update. my vision is greatly improved. no more ghosting and I am seeing very well in good light. In poor light or dim indoor lighting visual clarity degrade a little.

I had my 8 weeks check up yesterday and I can see the bottom line on the chart. I still have 0.25 astigmatism left. I am told I still has very little residual haze left and but it should go away in a few months. I also should wear UV protected sun glasses for the next few months for haze prevention.

Overall, I am happy with my vision but recovery is such a long process. I think they should have warn me better regarding the recovery time, haze, ghosting and pain during the first few days.

My eye do feel dry in the morning. I am using Refresh during the day. Vision is still best in the morning and then gets slightly worse during the day, but its not a problem. Also, there are day to day variations, some days better than others. I hope this will become stable in the next few months.
Duratorque

Return to Just Had It