Is 54 Too Old?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Is 54 Too Old?

Postby Stevieb » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm thinking about lasik but am having doubts due to my age.

My prescription is -5.00 in both eyes, and 1.0 astigmatism. I require +2 reading glasses. I know I'll continue to need reading glasses after the surgery. I hate to lose my "close" vision since I use it once in a while to see detail of a project I'm working on. I haven't tried monovision, but I'm told they overcorrect one eye, and undercorrect the other. I don't really like that idea. I suppose I can use a magnifying glass on anything I really need to see up close. What do you guys think?

Steve
Stevieb

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:52 am

Your age is not at all too old, and you have many options.

Monovision is good for "getting around vision". It can provide adequate near vision and adequate distance vision. For close detail work you would probably need reading glasses even if you had monovision. If superior distance vision you would need glasses that provide full correction. With successful monovision, you would need these glasses about 15-20% of the time. See details on monovision.

The best way to know if monovision would work for you would be to get fitted with a pair of contact lenses. With contacts you can experience the target for vision after surgery and determine if monovision works for you and if there would be an undesired limitation on the close work you now accomplish by removing your glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Stevieb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:56 pm

Thanks for the answer.
How about I forgo the monovision and just go with far vision correction. Would reading glasses be adequate for my close up type work? The bifocals I'm wearing now don't seem to be as good as when I remove them to see close.

Steve
Stevieb

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:46 pm

The best way to know if reading glasses will give you the clarity you need for near vision would be to get a pair of disposable contact lenses that provide full distance correction and wear them with your reading glasses. This is the most clarity you could expect from surgery.

By wearing the contacts throughout the day, you will experience how often you need to grab those reading glasses. If you do a lot of mid-distance and near work, you may find that you are using glasses most of the time even after Lasik. This may not be the best result.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It