Systane Free Recalled due to mold

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Systane Free Recalled due to mold

Postby peakaboo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:12 pm

Just tried to buy it and woman at register said it's recalled. Found this link on-line:

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/alcon12_06.html
peakaboo

Oh No!

Postby Betty39 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:15 am

These are the ONLY drops that have helped me!! I've tried them all and only this product really gave me long term relief! I don't see anything foreign in my bottles. I am very upset by this.
Betty39

Postby maria22 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:26 am

I wish I'd never gotten the Systane drops anyway, since they contain preservatives. My doctor didn't seem to think that was a problem, but I knew better after visiting this forum! :wink:
maria22

Postby Betty39 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Systane free liquid gel doesn't contain preservatives. Probably the reason for the mold. I think it does have some kind of preservative but it is preservative free once in the eye. I loved it. I'm going to use the rest of my bottles unless I see anything floating in them which I don't. And the preservatives in the other systane product contains a preservative which is supposed to be benign.
I'm bummed cause I'm a big Systane fan.
Betty39

Postby lance » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:05 pm

my doctor suggested me to use Refresh Plus, because it doesn't contain preservative material. according to them the perservative might cause potential problem if use for a long period of time (months to a year).
lance

Is the recall recalled?

Postby Betty39 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:13 am

I went to a big drug store today to get more eye drops. There they had the systane liquid gel on the shelf. And on sale for $7.50! I bought some, but now I'm wondering if it's okay. Anybody heard any new news on this?
Betty39

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:52 am

The FDA Systane Recall notice has details including a toll free number to call. The recall affects a limited production.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tootingbec » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:18 am

LasikExpert wrote:The recall affects a limited production.

Are you sure about that? In my book, a "limited" recall is a recall of certain production lots. Unless I am misunderstanding the press release, this one particular Systane product is being recalled in its entirety. No lot numbers or production days are cited.

All that verbiage about "Free" and "LIQUID GEL" seems intended to make sure that consumers don't accidentally stop using other Systane products.

I am a little bummed. I really liked this product, and the mushrooms growing out of my eyes were only a mild inconvenience. {JOKE}
tootingbec

Postby Betty39 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:39 am

That was funny! I agree, that was the best product I've tried. I am going to use the bottles I bought. I will just keep looking at them to make sure they have nothing floating in them. Anyway, it said of the 11 bottles none resulted in eye infections. I am just being extra careful not to touch the tip of the bottle to anything. They sold several million bottles and only 11 were bad.
I would love to find a similar liquid gel of another brand to use when my bottles are gone. Anyone know of any other liquid gel that might suffice?
Betty39

Systane Free

Postby Kellie06 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:33 pm

Systane makes a preservative free drop in a vial. It is the drops that they told me to use after my surgery. I tried to use the free gel and it bothered my eyes to much. I have gone back to the vials instead. I love the Systane drops and I will not use anything else. I am now 2 months post op and I am loving life. I went from 20/400 L and 20/500 R to currently 20/15 in both eyes. I have never seen this good. I think that having the lasik surgery is the best thing that I have ever done.
Kellie06

Return to Just Had It