Still a Little Ghosting

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Still a Little Ghosting

Postby David White » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:19 am

I'm 4 months and a week or so from LASIK. I'm happy, no huge problems, seeing close to 20/20 with both eyes open. Not perfect but more than acceptable as I was 20/650 before.

The one irritant I have is I have a little ghosting in one eye. I might have a tiny bit in my left eye but it's very noticeable in my right eye. It's not unbearable, it's livable but it's clearly there. I can see it a little with both eyes open - definitely more with just the one eye open - but still there with both eyes open.

The ghosting is basically a double image. It's exactly at a 0 degree angle - in other words if my head is being held straight up the ghost image is exactly straight up. If I tilt my head a little, the angle of the ghost image moves that same exact angle.

Regarding dry eye, the ghost does go away with eye drops but returns very quickly, almost immediately. It's also WAY more noticeable at night, in low light.

From reading the boards it seems like it could be Dryness, Astigmatism, Improper (but complete) Healing (in other words, it is what it is).

Any ideas ? I tried to give every detail I could think of :)
David White

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:49 pm

You hit it on the nose. What you describe is likely astigmatism exacerbated by dry eye. Nearly all ghosting that is related to astigmatism will increase when the pupil enlarges due to a low light environment.

A refraction (which is better, one or two?) would provide a prescription that would show clearly the amount of the astigmatism and its angle.

The angle of the astigmatism indicates that it may be related to the hinge of the Lasik flap. It is possible that this problem relates to edema (swelling) at the Lasik hinge. Your best source of information of the exact cause will be your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby David White » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:12 pm

LasikExpert wrote:The angle of the astigmatism indicates that it may be related to the hinge of the Lasik flap. It is possible that this problem relates to edema (swelling) at the Lasik hinge. Your best source of information of the exact cause will be your doctor.

Is that something which would be fixable by the doctor ? Or is it something which may still fix itself even at 4 months out ?

Again, it's just an irritant and extremely livable if I'm stuck with it.
David White

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:40 pm

Residual astigmatism can be resolved with contact lenses, glasses, and often times with enhancement surgery. Whether or not the risk of enhancement surgery is worth the potential benefit is something you will need to decide when you get to that point, which will probably be at 3-6 months postop. Since you already feel that it is not a major issue, then it seems unlikely that you will want to have additional surgery.

Astigmatism caused by edema will very likely resolve itself with healing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago