Wavefront PRK in a month. Monovision at 30?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Wavefront PRK in a month. Monovision at 30?

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:56 am

Hi, I had a question.
I am scheduled to have Wavefront PRK in another month. My prescription is around -2.25 -2.00(astig) in the right eye and -2.00 -1.50(astig) in my left eye. I am a little scared about having both eyes done at once. Can one eye be done at a time? I was thinking that it would be best to do my right, more nearsighted eye, first. I am only 30 but am thinking about being dependent on reading glasses later on in life. Do you think it would be ok to leave my left eye alone to assure monovison later on in life?
Thanks so much!!
Malia
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:59 am

Malia,

These are all good questions to consider before having surgery. I'm glad to see that you are thinking ahead, not just at today.

I applaud your decision to elect to have a surface ablation technique like PRK rather than LASIK. Your vision recovery from PRK will be a bit slower than with LASIK, but with your long term vision should be about the same. The advantage with PRK is that there is no LASIK flap. With no flap, there is no possibility of a LASIK flap related complication at surgery or at any time in the patient's life.

Monovision is an appropriate technique for someone who is presbyopic, but may not be appropriate for someone who is 10-15 years away from presbyopia. Only you can decide on this one, but I don't see that remaining somewhat nearsighted with limitation on depth perception is a valid choice for someone who is 30. If anything, I would suggest you consider full correction now, then wearing one contact when you are in your 40s, but as I said, this is your decision.

In any case, you need to get all of the significant astigmatism corrected to be able to have decent vision without glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It