Had Custom Lasik this past Friday

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Custom Lasik this past Friday

Postby PaulPats » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:19 pm

Prescription beforehand: -5.25 in both eyes

It's turned out decent so far. My left eye is a lot better in terms of clarity at this point, however. When I went in for my next day visit on saturday, the doctor told me I was 20/30, and the only reason I wasn't 20/20 was because my eyes were dry. She reminded me to use the drops every hour. The problem is, I have been using them every hour (sometimes even before then). I've been using TheraTears bottle drops (Preservative Free on Eye Contact). I was using Systane free before I heard about the recall.

Can I expect my right eye to become more clear over the next week? Should I move up the artificial drops from an hour to every 30-45 minutes?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
PaulPats

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:26 am

It is so early in your healing period that you can certainly expect change, hopefully all for the better.

If you read our article on Lasik Dry Eye you will see that it is not only about needing artificial tears. We have a link from that article that lists brands of similar artificial tears so you can find an appropriate alternative if needed.

I am steadfast for true preservative-free artificial tears. The preservative-free on contact is not always the case. As an example, one brand needs light to become preservative-free. What if you put them at night, close your eyes, and go to sleep? I don't think the difference in cost between preservative-free on contact and true preservative-free.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby PaulPats » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:41 am

Thanks LasikExpert for your response.

I went in for my 2nd checkup today, and the doctor said that 50% of the dry spots which appeared on the first checkup are gone. I was given a stronger artificial drop as well. I'm still 20/30 in both eyes, but she said that because of my original prescription, it could take a while to see my final outcome. I picked up some GenTeal PM ointment to help resolve the remaining dryness. It really does feel like the dryness is improving. Now if only I can get to the 20/20 line.... :)

Paul
PaulPats

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:08 am

Focus on the dryness and making your eyes a healthy environment. The vision quality will follow.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby PaulPats » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:04 am

My vision has improved a little bit since my last update, but not by much. My left eye (dominant eye) is pretty good, and the right eye is still lagging behind in terms of clarity. This past week I cut down on the eye drops from once an hour to once every two hours. I may try lowering the drop usage to 4 times a day this week, and see how that goes.

Night vision is still pretty rough. It isn't debilitating to the point where I can't drive, but it certainly makes it a harder task to deal with. Starbursts/glare are pretty bad at this point, which is something I hope will improve as time goes on.

I have another appointment on Feb 6th, and will give you guys an update after it transpires.
PaulPats

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:20 am

Your symptoms indicate that you still have some dry eye issues. Do keep us updated.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It