PRK Procedure

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK Procedure

Postby prkmil » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:46 pm

I posted this in my last topic but wasnt sure if it would get read being at the bottom of the other topic so here ya go. One other thing I am curious about is the procedure itself. How long should the procedure last on each eye. What are the steps in the surgery from putting in numbing drops to putting in the braces to keep the eye open? To the actual laser usage? How important is it that I do not move my eyeball even a fraction of an inch? These are things running through my mind because I wouldnt want to accidentally move my eye and cause the laser to make a wrong movement. Thanks in advance for your response.
prkmil

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:42 am

The doctor places ink marks at the edge of your eye, you lay down at the laser, various dressing covers are put around your eyes and/or face as required, the speculum is inserted to keep your eye lid open, numbing drops are administered, the doctor touches your eye to verify you are numb, a trephine (short round stainless steel tube) is placed on your cornea to act like a well, an alcohol solution is placed in the trephine, the alcohol solution is removed via sponge, the trephine is removed, the surgeon uses a tiny "hockey stick" to slip away the epithelium that has been disrupted by the alcohol solution, a special sponge is used to clean and dry the area, you are told to look at the light in the laser as your head is positioned, a tracking system is locked on to your eye so eye movement is automatically followed, the laser makes a "pop, pop, pop" sound, when done the eye is flushed with a balanced salt solution, more medication may be applied, a bandage contact lens is placed in the eye, the speculum is removed, you close your eye, repeat on the other eye.

After finished you will go to a slit lamp where the doctor will examine you. You go home with a packet full of meds (take all the pain killers that are offered - just in case), you go home and sleep as long as possible.

There are many, many variations. Wavefront-optimized ablation may require an evaluation immediately before surgery. You may need dilating drops before surgery. Order may be changed a bit. The doctor may not use alcohol solution and may remove epithelium with a small round brush, etc.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tootingbec » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:06 am

Some things I found interesting from my own LASIK procedure that I believe are also applicable to PRK:

I also asked my surgeon how important it was that I keep my eye perfectly still, and if I could mess up my eyes by looking away at the wrong time. He related an anecdote about how he had performed laser vision correction on a patient with nystagmus (uncontrollable eye movements). Apparently that tracking laser is really good.

I felt a little claustrophobic as I lay there on the table with one eye bandaged and the other eye in the grip of whatever thing they use to immobilize it. Good thing that part was short.

I knew intellectually that the reshaping is done with an ultraviolet laser, but it still took me by surprise when, during the procedure, the doc said (correctly) "You won't be able to see the laser."

The smell of the laser in action reminded me a little of singed cardboard.
tootingbec

Postby prkmil » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:05 am

Thank you both for your responses. This has eased my mind a great deal, its great to know what to expect when undergoing this type of surgery. I have even been concerned with the though of going blind!! HA Well I am still going to pray on that one. But thank you guys alot.
prkmil

Return to Thinking About It