Lasik and glaucoma

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik and glaucoma

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:08 am

1) I am 47 and have open angle glaucoma. Any cautions in terms of LASIK to correct myopia and astygmitism?
2) How many times can LASIK be done? i.e. if I elect not to have monovision, later in life would like to try it, then don't like it 3 surgeries OK? Thanks so much.
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:10 am

Your glaucoma needs to be fully controlled with either surgery or medications before having any elective ocular surgery.

You may want to consider a surface ablation technique like PRK or LASEK rather than tradional LASIK. LASIK requires the pressure inside the eye to be elevated for a brief period. Patients with glaucoma already are sensitive to intraocular pressure. Discuss with your doctor if PRK or LASEK may be better for your individual circumstances.

So long as there is enough tissue, theoretically you can have as many refractive surgery procedures as you want. With LASIK the flap will be lifted and additional laser energy applied underneath. With PRK and LASEK the ablation will be on the surface of the cornea. PRK and LASEK leave much more cornea untouched than LASIK, so more enhancement surgeries could be performed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It