Lasik doctor with 6k or doctor with 30k?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik doctor with 6k or doctor with 30k?

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:30 pm

Hello,

I have a consultation with a doctor certified by USAEyes.org this month. They have only done 6k lasik procedures each. Whereas Dr. K and Dr. M claimed to have done over 30k each. Do you know anything about Dr. K or Dr. M?

Thanks,
Hoa
Last edited by GeneralPatientInquiry on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:38 pm

I am familiar with both Dr. K and Dr. M. They both have a good reputation in the ophthalmic community. I would, of course, have a bias toward a doctor who has been evaluated by our organization, but you could use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor to help evaluate Dr. K and Dr. M.

There is little advantage to getting into a numbers race. After the first 500 or so of any surgical procedure the doctor should have the requisite practical knowledge necessary. Think of the most difficult task you perform. Do it 500 times. Are you going to be any better at 501 than you were at 499?

There is probably not going to be much difference be surgery number 6,001 and surgery number 30,001, as far as base skill is concerned.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:15 am

Hi Glenn,

What's safer? Epi-Lasek or Lasik? I'm scared of the blade.

Thanks,
Hoa
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:17 am

Hoa,

Both Epi-LASIK and LASIK require the attachment of a microkeratome to the eye with suction. This raises the intraocular pressure significantly, but only for a short time. Epi-LASIK will make a superficial flap of only epithelial cells. LASIK will make a deeper flap of stromal tissue. The epithelial flap heals to exactly the same condition as before surgery. The stromal flap heals, but not exactly as before surgery. See Lasik Flap Healing.

If you need 6.00 diopters or less of correction and are able to deal with the short-term reduce visibility, then going to the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, or Epi-LASIK seem to be reasonably appropriate alternatives. If the change is more than 6.00 diopters, then the probability of corneal haze increases significantly unless you have LASIK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It