Thinking about Lasik soon

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Thinking about Lasik soon

Postby Medina » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:44 pm

I am thinking about getting Lasik soon but I am very apprehensive about choosing a doctor. I have found about 7-8 doctors and on their website, they all use different machines and different types of lasik. Several use intralase, where a laser is used to make a flap in the cornea. Others use something called wavelenght. I know there are pros and cons of each type, but how do I know what to choose? Does the doctor tell me what is best for me? Obviously the quality of the surgeon is the most important, but how important is the type of lasik machine they are using? Also, can anyone recommend some doctors in nyc? I am 21 (turning 22 in april), have slight astigmatism, and am nearsighted with -8. I have been wearing glasses since I was 8 and contacts since I was 13.
Medina

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:49 pm

No amount of technology can compensate for an inferior surgeon. You need to focus on the quality of the surgeon rather than the tools that surgeon uses. A good doctor knows the limitations of his/her technique and technology and will only recommend surgery if there is a high probability that you will achieve the desired outcome.

There are several New York Lasik doctors who have been evaluated and certified by our organization. You may want to consider them.

We have a list of 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctorthat can help you evaluate any potential surgeon.
Wavefront Lasik a laser mapping and guiding technology that has been shown to provide better outcomes than conventional laser mapping/guiding technology for those who are appropriate candidates. Whether or not you would benefit from wavefront depends upon your unique circumstances and you will need to rely on your doctor to provide you that evaluation.

Your refractive error is high. This increases the probability that you will need eLasik nhancement surgery or will have a delayed vision recovery. Discuss with any potential lasik doctor the challengs presented due to your higher refractive error.

If you have been wearing contacts for a long period of time, before Lasik it will be necessary for you to stop wearing them long enough to allow your corneas (clear front of eye) to return to thier natual shape. Doctors don't exactly agree on how long, but here is a guideline on contacts before Lasik.

You will probably have additional questions after you review these linked articles and have been evaluated by a few Lasik doctors. We will be glad to research and answer the questions as well as possible.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It