Does this sound like a good monovision correction?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Does this sound like a good monovision correction?

Postby kellymasonmom » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:51 am

I have had my initial assessment for monovision lasik correction. My prescription is R eye -2.00 with -.5 astigmatism, L eye is -1.75 with -.25 astigmatism. My readers are +1.75, and I am 49 years old. They have suggested that I correct my dominant R eye for distance and do no surgery on my Left eye. I also chosen wavefront technology. Does this sound like a good plan?
Thanks
Last edited by kellymasonmom on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
kellymasonmom

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:57 am

Based upon the information you have provided this seems like an reasonably appropriate approach, however you need to try monovision with contacts before having it lasered into your eyes. Read about Lasik monovision details.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

one more question

Postby kellymasonmom » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:24 am

How long can I expect to not need reading glasses for close vision? Does your close vision continue to deteriorate as you get older? Will my -1.75 in my left eye eventually need help?
Thanks again!
kellymasonmom

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:16 am

Presbyopia actually starts around age 10, but is normally not symptomatic until after around age 40. As a general rule, presbyopia reaches its full effect around age 50-55. You may still have some accommodation, but it is likely that your presbyopia will stay close to what you have now. Your doctor can determine if you still have accommodation.

1.75 diopters of myopia should provide reasonably good reading distance vision now and in the future, but discuss this in detail with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

One more question

Postby kellymasonmom » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:27 am

In regards to monovision, is there a goal that the surgeons try to achieve in the non dominant eye? Is every patient different? As I stated before, my left eye will have no surgery and it is -1.75. Does it depend on how old you are? My contact lens trial was just correcting my R. eye with a contact and nothing in my Left. Now I am wondering if we should have tried different strengths of contacts in my non-dominant eye to see if there could have been something even better.
Thanks again, you are a wealth of information!
kellymasonmom

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:34 am

Monovision does tend to be unique to each individual - some don't like it at all - however in nearly all cases the myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) eye would be less than 2.00 diopters. Since your non-dominant eye is 1.75 diopters myopic, it does seem to make good sense to keep that level of natural monovision and not have any surgery in that eye.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It