To Lasik or Not to Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

To Lasik or Not to Lasik

Postby GodsClay » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:23 pm

I have heard - word of mouth from friends and family - that Lasik was a wonderful experience for them. But I wanted more info than just their experiences....... and I found this wonderful forum.

But now - I'm scared....... maybe I've found too much information.
Last night, I saw a photo gallery of what it "looks like" to see ghostings, starbursts etc.

Being the worrier that I am..... well, you can imagine my anxieties after seeing those photos!

My OD is -1.75 -1.25 x78
My OS is -2.50 -.75 x 75

I use progressive bifocal glasses and I do not know what the reading is on the bifocal part.

My age will mean that I will need reading glasses. He said that I should get the +2.00 readers for after the surgery.

I am still in the thinking stage - though I've made an appointment for surgery next Friday 1-26-06.

Though my readings are not as bad as many others I see in this forum, I'm excited at the thought of not having my entire world in a blur, with only a very small area of clarity WITHOUT my glasses. My thoughts are that reading glasses are worth not having to wear - and pay for - expensive prescription glasses the rest of my life.

Any thoughts - encouragements - opinions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you muchly ~
GodsClay

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Considering your age, your low prescription for myopia (nearsighed, shortsighted) vision, and that you would need reading glasses after surgery, one would think you could just remove your glasses to see objects near and use glasses for distance vision rather than having surgery to do the opposite. It at first appears that would derive very little benefit from Lasik or similar surgery, however your astigmatism makes a big difference.

Astigmatism is when the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. Astigmatism will cause blur and ghosted images without proper correction.

Because of your astigmatism you probably cannot simply remove your glass to see near objects well. Your near vision is very likely blurred due to the astigmatism, and your distance vision is blurred due to your myopia.

Discuss with your doctor if a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, ro Epi-Lasik may be a better alternative to Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GodsClay » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:52 pm

One reason for my surgery consideration is that my astigmatism would get corrected. I'm not sure if mine is considered high or not, but I do know that I do indeed remove my glasses to read (ie book or writing a check) rather than using the bifocal portion of my lens. For "quick" glances, I do the obvious and lift my chin to see through the bifocals.... and also must "lift the chin" to see the computer monitor clearly.

Another question that I have is the 3 distances.... (not sure of the professional terms.)

I know that up close is affected by my astigmatism..... things are blurry whether I remove my glasses or use the bifocals.

The "middle" distances (ie across the living room seems to be the best - though not perfect.

Long distance is clear "enough" but often a guessing game. (ie street signs).

Night driving experiences minimal - yet noticable - halos. Distance perception is getting harder for me at night. And if it's raining outside at night while driving - it's almost to the point of being unsafe for me to drive... though I have no one to drive for me.

If I understand correctly, the PRK, Lasek and Epi-Lasik have a much longer recovery time. I am not in a postion to miss that much time from work - nor would I have anyone to depend on to get me there.

Can anyone give me some "plain talk" clarifications on those 3 distances I mentioned above and how each would be affected if I have the Lasik surgery???

Thank you muchly :)
GodsClay

Postby GodsClay » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:42 pm

Hello all !

I have another question.....

If my readings are:

My OD is -1.75 -1.25 x78
My OS is -2.50 -.75 x 75

.... what does that mean that my Snellen ratio is?

Thank you again :)
GodsClay

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:40 am

There is not agreed correlation between diopter measurement of refractive error and Snellen 20/whatever. Also, your astigmatism would complicate any attempt to create a diopter=Snellen ratio.

Although I'm sure there is some Greek or Latin term, the doctors I know use "near", "mid", and "distance" vision with somewhat variable definitions of what is near, mid, or distant.

Removing your astigmatism will make vision quality better at all distances and it appears from your description of effect that near vision would benefit most.

Removing you myopia will improve distance vision, will make near vision worse due to presbyopia, and will probably make mid vision a bit worse.

Removing your myopia and astigmatism in only one eye for monovision may be problematic because of the astigmatism in the other uncorrected eye. To know for sure, wear a toric contact lens that corrects both astigmatism and myopia in your dominant eye.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GodsClay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:04 am

Removing your astigmatism will make vision quality better at all distances and it appears from your description of effect that near vision would benefit most.

Are you saying that I can remove ONLY the astigmatism?? If so, I would still need glasses.... right ? And still bifocals ???

Removing you myopia will improve distance vision, will make near vision worse due to presbyopia, and will probably make mid vision a bit worse.

Does this mean that I would still have the astigmatism?

I assume that this option would include reading glasses for near objects ONLY?

I hate to sound so simple - but I really want to understand completely, the pros and cons before making such a life changing decision.

Am I to understand that they can correct one problem (ie astigmatism) and leave the other (ie myopia) as is? (or vice versa)

If they do both, my near will be worse (this I know).
If they do both, my mid vision >>>> (please fill in the blank)
If they do both, my distance vision will be >>> (please fill in the blank)

Your dedication and help is such a welcome and wonderful blessing!
I will be hoping for your reply.

Thank you again ~
GodsClay

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:42 am

Since astigmatism means that some of the light entering your eye is focused off center, or out of focus, or both, removal of the astigmatism will improve vision quality. Myopic correcton may be automatically included.

There is a coupling effect to astigmatic correction. For every 1.00 diopter of astigmatic correction, there is an automatic myopic correction that ranges from about 0.25 to 0.45 diopter, depending upon the laser, ablation size, etc. This coupling is a part of the physics of laser assisted correction.

If both myopia and astigmatism are corrected the quality of your mid vision will improve, but it will likely still be a little out of focus because of your presbyopia.

If they do both, my distance vision would likely improve.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GodsClay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:16 am

Thank you Glenn ~

Your answers and explanations are so helpful.

I will be studying and praying about it all.
GodsClay

Return to Thinking About It