This is a new one.

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

This is a new one.

Postby ssmarsh8 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:02 pm

I give my cat an inhaled steroid every day (she has asthma), and last night managed to blast myself in the eye with it while shaking the canister about 4 inches from my face. Brilliant, I know.

This has never happened before--in fact, I don't think I've ever gotten ANY chemical substance in my eye--and of course it would happen one week prior to my PRK.

In reading about the med (Flovent, or fluticasone), it says "avoid spraying in eye." I did my best to flush it, and it hurt slightly in the middle of the night and now seems fine. Steroids have been known to cause dry eye and glaucoma for those who use them regularly. I highly doubt this freak instance has any bearing on my eye surgery, but I thought I would put this out there. Better safe than sorry. Flovent is indeed a long-acting inhaled drug whose affects are not immediately felt in the lungs (where it's supposed to end up), but who knows about the eye.

I also have emailed my surgeon's office.

Should I be worried?
ssmarsh8

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:06 am

I know it is really rude, and I probably should not say this, and I' sure my reaction would be different if you were harmed, but I can't stop laughing at the mental image of the look of deep satisfaction/vengance on your cat's face while you are desparately flushing your eye after accidently shooting yourself with the steroid inhalor that you have been spraying down her throat every day.

Be sure to add to this thread what your doctor says.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ssmarsh8 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:20 am

Yes, I am sure it was a source of great amusement for my cat. ha Never mind that the expensive medication is saving her life, she would kill me in her sleep if she could. ha

I think I might have used a bad email address, as I didn't receive any response when contacting the doctor's office on this (I did receive a response to a separate inquiry about supplements, sent to a different address). At this point I don't think I'll bother--my eye seems perfectly normal. I'll probably mention it when I show up for my surgery on the 1 in a billion chance the surgeon will say that the steroid inhaler has messed us up. In the meantime I'm glad I could amuse you all! ha

Sarah
ssmarsh8

Return to Thinking About It