PRK vs Epi-Lasik Cost/Benefit

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK vs Epi-Lasik Cost/Benefit

Postby nemozob » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:37 pm

From what I've read, aside from recovery time and a minor procedural difference, Epi-Lasik and PRK are essentially the same. I've met with two different doctors regarding eye surgery in the Bay Area and I have no reason to think one is better than the other in their expertise. Due to thin corneas regular Lasik is not an option.

The first doctor I met with, based in San Jose, would perform Epi-Lasik for $4600 and the second doctor, based in Sacramento, would perform PRK for $2800. (I live in the Bay Area so the prices are higher than most places, the average hovered in the $5000 range in San Francisco).

My question, assuming all else is equal, is whether the differences between the two procedures are worth $2000?
nemozob

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:37 am

In the long term the results from PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik are going to be the same.

Driving the hour to Sacramento to save a ton of money makes perfect sense, but be sure to pre-arrange postoperative care with a local doctor who will comanage with your Sacramento surgeon. If something urgent occurs, you don't want to be searching for a local doctor or trying to find someone to drive you to Sacramento.

You may want to use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor to determine if all things actually are equal, or consider a San Francisco Lasik doctor evaluated and certified by our organization.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby nemozob » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:14 am

Thanks for the input, especially about the long term results being the same.

The second doctor I mentioned, based in Sacramento, actually has an office north of Oakland which for me is about a 30 minute drive. It's not quite as convenient as the first doctor I spoke with (who has an office in SF) but for a $2000 savings I think the extra distance will be alright.

Thanks again!

Editor's Note: This post has been edited to remove a physician's name.
nemozob

Return to Thinking About It