The Age Issue

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

The Age Issue

Postby melanieanne » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:56 pm

I have been thinking of laser eye surgery for the past few years, and have been leading towards getting LASIK done. I would like to do some extensive travelling, backpacking, hiking etc, and contacts arent very practical. I only wear glasses at night because they give me a headache or just leave me feeling tired and groggy if I wear them during the day, so that is not practical for travel either. Anyways, I have a couple concerns I was hoping to get some opinions about- I will be 20 this summer, and have read that myopia can cause your eyes to change up till mid to late 20's. My prescription has been fairly stable at -6.5 (and low astigmatism) for the past couple years, but is it still possible for it to change enough to make waiting a few years worth it? I want to get the procedure done soon (as long as I'm a candidate) because I want to travel now.
And would waiting a few years allow time for better lasers to be developed and possibly produce better results?
Also, how would I go about finding which surgeon is best qualified in my area? I live in Victoria, BC but there are probably more options for doctors in the Vancouver area.
Any info you have to contribute would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
melanieanne

Re: The Age Issue

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:43 am

melanieanne wrote:My prescription has been fairly stable at -6.5 (and low astigmatism) for the past couple years, but is it still possible for it to change enough to make waiting a few years worth it?

If your prescription has not changed more than about 0.50 diopters over the past three years, then your vision would probably be considered stable. It is always possible that it will change and your vision will undoubtedly change after age 40, but that is a long time from now.

melanieanne wrote:And would waiting a few years allow time for better lasers to be developed and possibly produce better results?

There will always be better everything eventually. Perhaps the better question would be if there is an acceptably high probability that you would achieve what you desire with today's technology and techniques and within your comfort zone for risk.

melanieanne wrote:Also, how would I go about finding which surgeon is best qualified in my area?

Start by contacting the ophthalmology department at a university affiliated teaching hospital. They may not provide Lasik, but they probably know who to recommend...and who to avoid. Although our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor are designed of US surgeons, they really apply everywhere.

melanieanne wrote:I live in Victoria, BC but there are probably more options for doctors in the Vancouver area.

Vancouver will have more options, but that is a long drive. It can be an especially long drive during winter. If you decide to have surgery in Vancouver, be sure to pre-arrange for a local doctor to be available for postoperative care. Comanaged Lasik may be appropriate for you.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It