does the LASIK flap heal?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

does the LASIK flap heal?

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:28 am

When I asked a lasik surgeon, he told me that the center of the flip will never heal. He told me that his experience tell him that only about 10% of the cut surface will attach permanently to the eye surface. Is that true?
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:30 am

What your doctor is telling you is more or less true, but not quite the whole story. The cornea heals, but not like something similar to a cut on your arm. There is always a difference. For full details, read Lasik Flap Healing

You may want to investigate the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, and Epi-LASIK. These do not require a flap of deeper stromal cornea tissue and would eliminate the possibility of any flap related complication during surgery or for your lifetime. Remember, once you have had LASIK, you have always had LASIK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It