haze in one eye

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

haze in one eye

Postby mowchowch » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:15 pm

I am now 4 days after Lasik surgery with Custom Vue. My eyes were Right eye -4.25 and Left eye -4.75. Since the surgery my right eye has had perfect vision and it is clear. My left eye has a constant haze which interferes with my vision. It is present during the day and night. My one day post op exam revealed that my right eye is 20/15 and I was told that my left eye is 20/20. (although when I read the eye chart it wasnt too clear b/c of the haze). I asked about the haze in my left eye and didnt get much of a definite response from the doc. He told me that each eye is different. I do notice halos at night but that is not bothering me b/c it is in both eyes and it sounds like that will get better with time. I have done a lot of reading about haze since my surgery and it doesnt seem that it is all that common with the type of procedure that I had done. I am using my moisture drops frequently and my eyes dont feel all that dry. I am just wondering why my left eye has haze but the right one is fine? Will it go away in a period of time?
mowchowch

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:25 pm

There are many causes of haze after Lasik. Some relate to healing and will dissipate with time and some are more likely to be permanent. Without your doctor's diagnosis it will be impossible to know the prognosis in your case. The doctor may not have given you a cause, but what did the doctor say about the probability of the hazy vision resolving with healing?

Did you happen to have All-Laser Lasik with the Lasik flap created using a femtosecond laser?

Keep in mind that what presents as a symptom of hazy vision may not be actual corneal haze, but may be residual refractive error that was not resolved during Lasik or that is caused by edema (swelling) or Lasik related temporary dry eye.

If you have a sudden worsening of the haze, contact your doctor's office immediately.

It is very early in the healing process. Please keep us informed of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

haze in one eye update

Postby mowchowch » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 pm

Thanks for the speedy response. This site has been very helpful.

I had an appt with my doctor today to check my eyes b/c I called them about my symptom. My eyes look good by exam. They dont appear to be dry. He said that he hears my complaint so many times. It is almost like I would need to take a contact out and wipe a film off of it. I was told that it may take weeks for it to go away. He didnt give me a probability. So I'll have to sit tight and find out. I hope for the best.

I did not have all laser Lasik. I had the flap made with the kerotome (I think that is what the blade is called).

I'll let you know how things are in a few weeks.
mowchowch

Postby bada5150 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:16 pm

I am wondering if your eye got better since then. I have similar problem just like you.
bada5150

13 days out

Postby mowchowch » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:27 pm

I am now 13 days out from surgery. My vision is changing alot. Some days it is quite difficult to focus. It is occurring in both of my eyes. I still think the haze is present in my left haze compared to the right but it's hard to tell with the vision changes that have been happening. On day 10 I had great vision for a couple of hours...in both eyes but there still seemed to be something different about the vision in my left eye that has had the haze from the beginning. I think that the haze has not been quite as noticeable lately. I am not as worried about my vision as I was at first. I am trying to be patient and look forward to finding out what my vision is like at my one month appt.
How far out are you from your surgery?
mowchowch

Postby bada5150 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:15 pm

It is really hard to tell if my right eye is getting better or not. Definately, it got better than last week. Today is my 16 days out from surgery. I still see very clearly with my left eye. I still have some haze left on my right eye. I just went to Doc this morning for post check up and he told me it will get better. He told that my right eye is regrowing and that is why my right eye is not too clear. But sometimes, I right see clearly.

But still it bothers me when I see computer. maybe brain needs to adopt this and it takes long time for that. Or it might be really healing.
But Doc said that there is no sign of corneal edema or dry eye.

Right now both eyes seems clear as I am typing this now. But When I cover my left eye and sees with right eye then cover my right eye and sees with left eye. I feel that my left eye is little more clear than right eye.
I think this is good way to compare.
bada5150

Postby mowchowch » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:24 pm

What kind of surgery did you have? did you have laser lasik with a corneal flap or epi lasik?
I'll post any news that occurs with my vision over the next few weeks. I get the impression from reading most messages on here that these changes are expected.
mowchowch

Postby bada5150 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:26 pm

I had laser lasik (flying spot technology) with a corneal flap. on Jan 15th.
One thing that I noticed today is that I have been putting eye drop as often as I could because of my right blurry hazy eye. But when I put eye drop into my right eye, it would get super clear for a moment and it gets blurry and hazy again. That was why I was putting a lot of eye drops into my right eye.
But I haven't put eye drop for a while and realized that my right eye is very clear when I am not using current eye drop. I really don't feel that much dry currently.
My question is:
Maybe eye drop that I am using doesn't stick to my eye well enough to give me a clear eye. However, my left eye is very clear no matter what I do.
Strange...
bada5150

Postby mowchowch » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Today I have really noticed the haze in my left eye. I have also have improvement momentarily when I use the drops. I just hope it all improves with time. I'll let you know.
mowchowch

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:34 pm

If you are able to resolve the haze with an artificial tear, then you do not have corneal haze. True corneal haze is unaffected by artificial tears. What you probably have is a rough, dry, epithelium that creates blurred and hazy vision. That is actually good news. Dry eye can be managed and treated more simply and with less risk than corneal haze.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:22 pm

Today, I noticed a bit of haze in both eyes during the morning. Now they got cleared up. It seems like when actual tear (from our body) covers evenly over the eyeball, hazy seems to go away. When I put artificail tear (Refresh plus), Both eye clears for a moment, they it gets hazy in very shortly.
This seems like artificial tear that I am putting in my eyes doesn't really stick to eyeballs too well.

Is this true Glenn? Your opinion is very valuable.

Thank you again.
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:57 am

Yes, it is possible that the artifical tears you are using simply dissipate away too quickly to give you lasting relief from dry eyes. If you read our article about artificial tears you will see there are several different types using different formulas. Some of these tears are thicker and will last longer. Systane is one that is reported by some as lasting longer than others.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:22 pm

It seems like I still have one haze right eye. I thought that it was almost gone yesterday and woke up this morning and I started noticing haze right eye again. It seems like time to time my right eye is clear as left eye. (my left eye is very solid).

I am wondering if this is focusing problem or something else or it is just healing. When I yawn, my eyes generate tears and my eye tear really clear my right eye I think.

Is it because of my eye generate best fit tear for my eye?
bada5150

Return to Just Had It