Lasik dry eye

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Lasik dry eye

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Wed May 31, 2006 4:29 am

I had lasik a little over a year ago in Toronto no problems for first nine monhs and 20/20 vision for last seven months dryness which has gotten to point of severe.Tried all off the counter drops including systane with little relief.Schirmer tests contain numbers of {1}in each eye and tear break up is much under five seconds showing poor ter quality,since that is the case will plugging up all four ducts help.Restasis isn't available in Canada has it shown that it helps with post lasik dry eye,worth going to Niagra falls for a prescribtion,also what is usually tried first restasis or steroid drops.Also what is the last resort surgery to close off the punctum or the Boston Scleral lens which is about 8000$ which can be found at www.boston scleral lens.com.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by GeneralPatientInquiry on Wed May 31, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 31, 2006 4:31 am

If your current dry eye problem is directly related to LASIK, then continued healing should help the problem. The fact that you had no problems for the first nine months postop indicates that your dry eye is caused by something else. A change in environment, a change in medications, even a change in your eating habits can cause dry eye. You should continue to investigate the cause.

Your very low Shirmer and moderate TBU indicates that you have an aqueous or mucin problem. The flax seed oil supplements would probably be of little use. Restasis may be helpful and is certainly worth the trip to the US to get it. It is a bit pricey. Although you may get early relief, the manufacturer states that it takes at least 90 days for it to become fully effective. So plunk you money down and be patient. 8^/

If you have not seen it already, we have a detailed article about dry eye treatment at http://www.complicatedeyes.org/dry_eye_treatment.htm

Keep using those preservative-free eye drops. Allowing your eyes to go dry can cause damage to the cornea and induce or exacerbate astigmatism.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Wed May 31, 2006 5:07 am

I would probally say that my dry eye was caused by lasik even though it appeared months after because I read that sometimes there's a delayed response.I was put on Pred forte by my surgeon and he told me to just use it the one eye which I deel to be worse and come back and see him in two weeks.I've noticed that it's usually reccomended to use the less potent steroid drops like fml or lotemax.Are the chances over two weeks of the harsher side effects great and if you can't use this steroid for long how helpfull can it be for post lasik dry eye.
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Return to Had It A While Ago