corneal abrasion after surgery

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

corneal abrasion after surgery

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:37 am

I opted for post surgery follow ups with my Optometrist (approved by my Surgeon). My 1 week and 1 month check ups were perfect.
Approximately 2 months into the healing process I woke up with blurred vision in my left eye, according to my Doctor it was a corneal abrasion. He thought I may have slept with that eye open, however now I'm getting them almost daily in both eyes, even wide awake. I can feel it happening..almost as though something is breaking off of my inner eyelid and scratching the surface. My Doctor said that because the abrasions are located centrally he doesn't believe that it's anything on my inner eyelid, that it would be located more towards the top. I went for my 3 month appt. last week and my Doctor saw I had one at that time as well. I've been given eye ointment to act as a "band aid" so that my blinking doesn't further irritate, but I'm concerned that
a)they don't what is causing it, so we're not treating the cause
b)that the constant irritation will!
eventually cause scar issue. Have you heard of anyone else experiencing these sorts of symptoms?
Thanks so much.
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:38 am

Your situation is undoubtedly either LASIK induced dry eye or is being exacerbated by LASIK induced dry eye. Read our article at Lasik Dry Eye Treatment then discuss a more aggressive maintenance and treatment plan with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

corneal abrasion

Postby chrissy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm

The same thing happened to me! I had Lasik in May, 5 months ago almost, and woke up the other day with total blurred vision in my right eye. Immediately went to the surgery center, and was told I had a corneal abrasion, maybe due to sleeping with my eye open. I have been using systane every hour and abx drops 4 x day, and gel at night. Even later the same afternoon my vision was significantly improved, and now, just 2 days later, completely healed. i go today for the follow up but I find it Weird!!!!! I have had no other complications since surgery, have great vision, and my doctor says he doesn't think what happened has anything to do with the fact that i have had Lasik, he said it could happen to anyone.

any thoughts??
chrissy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:51 pm

Corneal abrasions from incidents during sleep occur whether the person has had Lasik or not. What is different is that people who have had eye surgery of any kind tend to be more "eye aware" and respond agresively to any adverse event - which is usually a good thing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It