Should I going for the surgery?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Should I going for the surgery?

Postby hill » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:02 pm

Hi, I am a 24 years old with high myopia. Just had my power check about one month ago in an clinic in singapore. Right eye -9.00and -0.75 astimatism. Left eye -8.50 and -1.50 astimatism the cornea thickness checked by Orbscan is however just 512 for the left and 492 for the right eye. The surgeon recommend me with the normal lasik . i was told that the remaining cornea thickness is 287 for left eye and 267 for the right based on the calcultation. He is using the VISX S4 machine.

I happend to visit the [the website of a] clinic in NYC. He is the pro-lasek type surgeon. He said he will only perform lasek on me . WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

Note: This post was edited to remove a physican's name.
hill

Postby hill » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:19 pm

I am planning to visit the surgeon whose clinic is in shenzheng, China during the coming chinese new year. She has done the eye surgery on those people working for the Shenzhou 5 and shenzhou 6 project. And all of them recovered well. But one query is that, does intralase surgery increase the safety level drastically? Their equipment is also VISX S4. The price for the intralase surgery in the clinic is much more expensive compare to the one with keratome. have they over exaggerated it? Will i have a better safety margine and predictability with the intralase one. I have noted that both in singpore and china, the lasek and epi-lasik are used on those with high myopia but thin cornea, this quite different from what you have believed. In my case i am still unsure which one i should go for. any suggestions? Thanks
hill

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:35 pm

In my opinion your corneas are too thin for Lasik or All-Laser Lasik. If you decide to have refractive surgery at all then you should only consider the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik or P-IOL.

Cornea thickness with Lasik is an important issue. A minimum of 250 microns must remain untouched in a healthy cornea to maintain stability - more is always better. The current plan is to remove tissue to within a few microns of that minimum. There simply is not enough margin for error of the variables of Lasik or All-Laser Lasik.

With such a large amout of refractive error it is highly probable that you will have regression of effect. Regression of 1.00 diopter would be reasonably expected. Regression of 2.00 diopters is quite possible. When you regress there would be no ability to have enhancement Lasik surgery to resolve the regression.

Another issue that you undoubtedly face is pupil size and night vision problems. Pupil size alone does not reliably predict who will have night vision problems after surgery, but the combination of high refractive error and pupils larger than the size of the optical ablation zone would put you at a much greater risk of night vision problems that could be debilitating. If you did develop night vision problems there would not be enough tissue remaining to allow for enhancement Lasik surgery to attempt to resolve the problem.

You should evaluate the surface ablation techniques PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik and also consider a Phakic Intraocular Lens (P-IOL) as an alternative to Lasik. A P-IOL is a "helper" lens that is implanted in the eye in front or immediately behind the iris.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby hill » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:41 am

Thanks Glenn, for your valuable advice. So even the left eye is not advisable for lasik. but somehow this doctor in singapore is recommending LASIK for both of my eye, even though he does practice epi-lasik. Is he too irresponsible or is he too confident? I have ask another doctor, but this doctor said he never have a enhancement for all his patiences though his treated case is quite a lot, around 40k, but sounds a bit unbelievable. What do you think if i have my left eye with lasik but right eye with epi-lasik will it be worse? How long do you think it will take for my eyes to recover functional eye sight if i go for epi-lasik? i have been doing exercise regularly to keep myself fit. Will that help in the recovery?
hill

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:15 pm

hill wrote:Is he too irresponsible or is he too confident?

I don't know about this particular doctor, but sometimes one is the other.

hill wrote:this doctor said he never have a enhancement for all his patiences though his treated case is quite a lot, around 40k, but sounds a bit unbelievable.

Unbelievable indeed. It may be that the doctor simply will not provide Lasik enhancement surgery even if the desired target is not reached with the first surgery. A low enhancement rate may be an indication of a good surgeon or an indication of a bad enhancement policy.

hill wrote:What do you think if i have my left eye with lasik but right eye with epi-lasik will it be worse?

In my opinion (and I'm not a doctor) there is not enough margin for error to have Lasik or All-Laser Lasik.

hill wrote:How long do you think it will take for my eyes to recover functional eye sight if i go for epi-lasik?

In about three days you will have "functional fuzzy" vision, but it may be a couple of weeks or more before you have really crisp vision quality.

hill wrote:i have been doing exercise regularly to keep myself fit. Will that help in the recovery?

A healthy body is always better than an unhealthy body.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It