risks associated with enhancement

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

risks associated with enhancement

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:40 am

The results of my first corrective procedure were unsatisfactory. Are there risks specifically inherent to an enhancement procedure?
What determines whether they simply re-lift the first flap or make a new one?
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:40 am

The risks in enhancement surgery are nearly identical to the initial surgery with a few exceptions.

In nearly every case, the flap will be lifted rather than a new flap created. This eliminates the possibility of error in flap creation.

Because an enhancement is normally for a very small amount of refractive error and the doctor knows more precisely how your cornea will react to surgery, the probability for accuracy in results is somewhat higher than with an initial surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 pm

In an enhancement, do they need to still suction up one's eyeball?
If so, why since the flap has already been created?
What is the FDA's view on enhancements?
Thanks!
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:12 am

It is rare that it is necessary to create another flap for a Lasik enhancement. Normally the existing flap is lifted.

Enhancement surgery is an "off-label" use of the laser. Off-label is the term used when an FDA approved medical device is used in a manner for which it is not specifically approved, but in a manner that is appropriate based upon the opinion of the doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago