Over 50 Yrs Old + Myopia + Astigmatism = Monovision ???

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Over 50 Yrs Old + Myopia + Astigmatism = Monovision ???

Postby GodsClay » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:50 pm

I have been reading and doing some posting on this site in the last week or so.... and I am so grateful for all of you!

After some learning, I am now leaning towards Monovision.

Here is what I know...

OD is -1.75 -1.25 x78
OS is -2.50 - .75 x 75

OS (Left Eye) is my dominant eye.

Pupil Size
Left Eye = 6.0
Right Eye = 5.6

Distortions
Am told Very Low, but I have no "technical" info to give you

Cornea
Left = 560
Right = 546

I will be going for a 2nd consultation (same MD) on Thursday at which time I will discuss monovision options.

Reason: if both of my eyes are corrected for distant vision, I would require reading glasses for things as far away as 2 1/2 feet - due to presbyopia.

I was told on the phone this morning, that they could correct my dominant left eye to distant vision
and
UNDER correct my right eye so that the area requiring readers would be a smaller area. (keeping my right eye slightly myoptic) Otherwise, they say that even "seeing" items on a grocery shelf would be questionable if both eyes are corrected for distance.

1- Just a thought which may be crazy.... but what if they correct my astigmatism ONLY? Would this clarify what my bifocal glasses have never really accomplished?

2- And then there is the depth perception ........ How does that factor in with the monovision option variations & astigmatism?

Thank you,
Confused
GodsClay

unconfusion

Postby mike r » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:27 pm

Your about like I was prescription wise except Im 44. I had the monovision because that is what the people in the business of this type of surgery recommended. Im adapting to mine slowly but figure they made the right choice for me. Because I have a habit of screwing things up that I dont know about when I try to change things. This definitely was nt something to do that on.

<mike r>
mike r

Postby GodsClay » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:40 pm

Mike...

What about your depth perception - especially driving and/or for driving at night?

I'm concerned also that when someone like me gets monovision, I will be sacrificing "clear" distance vision and "clear" intermediate vision (ie dashboard on car)..... and then will not really know at what distance that "readers" will be required to see. I'd hate to have to detach my wrist to get it far enough away from my face just to "glance" at my watch when I don't have readers on. :o
GodsClay

Postby mike r » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:01 pm

Depth perception not a unnoticeable FOR ME, for distance sometimes better to squint one eye shut because of blurry and clear at same time.
I dont need glasses and kick but from real fine print to i dont no 25 yds. Then average beyond less magnification I think then with glasses but still good clarity just need more x power like binoculars. I think the distant vision eye my left the dominant has greater ranges than what they have done to my reader. Its only good from 3ft to 0 but is very sharp within its range at the finest print.

They had these glasses at the Dr. office that corrected the reader eye for distance and nothing but blank lense on other eye. Buddy let me tell you I could see like a hawk real far. They had no prescription for my specific eye. It was like those reading glasses in the store but for distance. I was like I need some of these. But they said to wait a couple months. Then they would get me a pare if I wanted.

I would rather have the ability to have no glasses with thi monovision. Then to definitely need glasses to read and only have long range vision. But I work outside and in my truck on a laptop so I like what they gave me. I hate glasses if I get a pair of those glasses that they tryed me on Im good to go.

But thats just my opinion, <mike r>
mike r

follow up

Postby mike r » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:04 pm

I met depth perception is not a problem to me. SNAFOOED that sentence in previous post
mike r

Questions For MD

Postby GodsClay » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Just wanted to mention that if anyone has thoughts on what QUESTIONS I should ask the MD on Thursday - I'd love to know!

I have some already prepared, but even so.... if you were me ~ what questions would you ask (based on my initial post in this thread).
If I've already thought of them, that's ok. I'm sure there are some that I haven't thought of yet.

Also, in my original post (this thread), I thought out loud about just having my astigmatism corrected. I do know that when astigmatism is corrected that some measure of my myopia will benefit too. But maybe there is something that I haven't read about yet on this site, or something that just hasn't sunk in to my brain.

Thank you muchly :)
GodsClay

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:36 am

You may want to review our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

monovision cont.

Postby mike r » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:05 am

I grammatically butchered the previous responses to your questions. I dont have that Twain touch like rgyoner plus I was at work multitasking not a strength of mine.
You had said something to the fact of not being able to see the dash maybe with monvision. Not true. I said MY medium to short range was excellent 0 to 25 yds. The weakness is distance but not per say bad. When you move your vision from something up close to distant quickly there is a blur delay until your brain somewhat adjusts.
I get more and more use to it everyday. So it appears to be an ongoing adjustment that eventually wont matter.

Remember I only had lasik on dec 21 so still a newbie with results.

Thats all I got to say bout that... Mike r
mike r

Postby rgonyer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Sorry, I cannot comment on the mono-vision options, I am not to that stage in my life, yet.

Is your surgery still scheduled for Friday?
rgonyer

Postby GodsClay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:17 pm

I have postponed my surgery for another 2 weeks.... Feb 9th.
I still have too many questions and do not want to rush in to anything I will regret. With my presbyopia & astigmatism, the confusion is greater. I'm particularly concerned about depth perception IF monovision is done.

I do have a 2nd consultation (rescheduled) for Friday morning (1/25/07). When I get those answers, I will list the options recommended by the surgeon.

During my FIRST evaluation, the MD suggested monovision - but also said that Lasik Distance Correction would also work - albit with readers due to my presbyopia. I took this to mean typical reading such as a book or writing.

Then, when I called this week to schedule a "2nd" consultation with the same MD, the couselor on the phone said that I would be very unhappy with total distance correction because my presbyopia would result in a VERY LARGE area of blur + Mid Range sacrifice.

My confusion is why the 1st Evaluation MD didn't mention that my adjusted near sight would involve such a large area.

The counselor said that because of presbyopia, if I extend my arm straight out PLUS add another 6 inches.... that ALL of that area would be blurred if I go for the Total Distance Correction..... and not just the simple "reading area" (books and writing)..... and that I would be VERY UNHAPPY.

So, the counselor was STRONGLY suggesting Monovision - but that too has it's downsides.

Now, I'm almost ready to say forget it. But I know that I SHOULD be able to see better than what my glasses afford me. I would leave well-enough alone - except that my presbyopia/astigmatism is noticable enough to want something better than what I now have.

Oy Vey !!!

GodsClay

Postby rgonyer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Good idea on delaying it! You certainly have more concerns to worry about than I did.

I wonder what I will be like when I am your age - havnig already been corrected for distance vision, I will likely have the same poor close/mid range vision that you are facing due to presbyopia.

I guess I am hoping that by the time I am that age, maybe there will be more options, and laser corrective surgery will have advanced to the point where it may be safer for me to receive a second corrective surgery for monovision - or possibly there maybe something to help ease the effects of presbyopia.

I can tell you this - the last couple of days, with my right eye being near perfect, and my left eye being fuzzy, it is certainly distracting at the computer, but it's not unworkable. I have a feeling this might be similar to having monovision. Is it something I could get used to? Hard to say, but it's only a minor annoyance right now. I still have my res set way high on my computer and can see it fine, I just kind of have to ignore my left eye.

My advice for you is to have them supply you with a variety of sample contact lenses. Have them give you a set that will mimic monovision, and have them give you a set that will mimic what the prescription they would give you if you got distance vision. I would think that would be a very close experience as to what you would have with the different corrective surgeries. I know most eye places have a stock of sample contacts that they give to people to try different brands/types before they order a years worth of contacts.
rgonyer

Postby GodsClay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:56 pm

:) I say this smiling at myself........

but on top of all of the considerations mentioned above
~ I am also Dyslectic.

Now THERE's a Kodak Moment ! :-)

GodsClay

Postby rgonyer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Wow, you are definately throwing the kitchen sink at 'em aren't you?

Did you bring that up with your surgeon initially? Curious as to what he had to say about it. I actually know just about zero about that condition.
rgonyer

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:42 pm

The very best way to know if monovision is appropriate is to try monovision with contact lenses for a few weeks. In fact, it is just about the only way to know if monovision will work for you.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GodsClay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:47 pm

LOL..... I have not brought that up to the surgeon. In fact, I forgot about it until I was having a quiet moment here at work and reflecting on all that my brain is trying to absorb.

It's a complex condition, but basically it means that I often REVERSE numbers, letters, and even words. It reveals itself at the darndest times too..... like during a job interview and I start talking backwards :-)

Can you see me getting monovision and my dyslectsia getting all confused about which eye to consentrate on ?!!!
My sight will really be all tangled up!! (Just kidding of course).

I'm getting a little punchy now.....
GodsClay

Next

Return to Thinking About It