Over 50 Yrs Old + Myopia + Astigmatism = Monovision ???

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:59 pm

I could find no medical studies on the effects of dyslectia and monovision, however monovision does not require objective concentration. Even those who are not dyslectic can have difficulties with monovision. This is why a contact lens trial is so important.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

GEEZ!!!

Postby mike r » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:09 am

I guarantee any and all the profesional Docs will give the same evaluation to get the monovision. Unless you really have a legit reason not to.
I think your grasping for reasons to talk yourself out of a procedure completely. Maybe to much noise in these forums and I guess Im a culprit to.
You wont be comfortable with the wishy washy contacts if they don t toric them which is what they did me. Im glad I have full range of sight.
It is the only option when we get old to not need glasses which is in my opinion the purpose of the procedure anyway.
If you dont want to have freedom without glasses just continue with the bifocals and dont worry about the procedure.

I think there telling you if you just go long range you wont see cleary from 4' to 0 or somewhere within an important range. That to me was not worth the risk(of losing a certain range of clear eyesight)and not worth having the procedure.

Like I said they have corrective distant glasses. I dont no why the expert makes no mention of them instead of everybody always thinking all long range and just have to use readers. I dont have to nor do I succomb to needing a handicap.

The short term trial of contacts still wont help you make the long term right decision.
Hec your brain and time are necesary to get use to monovision. To be honest at this point it has some drawbacks but still worth the choice to ME.

Ok So Im trying to overemphasize my opinion-

Good luck in any choice who knows- <mike r>
mike r

nervous as well

Postby kellymasonmom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:55 am

I am scheduled for monovision lasik next week. I as well am questioning how well it will work. I had a trial of contact lens....but it was not 24/7. I think that makes a difference. What has convinced me to do monovision is by speaking with others in my age group who had distance lasik correction. When told that you will need reading glasses-you think oh well, just need glasses to read. The truth is that you cannot see to shave, read your cell phone or watch, cook, computer work etc. I have convinced myself that monovision has to work for me, I don't want to have to walk around with reading glasses all the time.
Thought I would let you know-you are not alone.
kellymasonmom

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:23 am

You can know if you love monvision in a few hours. You won't know you hate it for a few weeks. That is because those who don't adapt immediately may adapt fine after a few weeks, and those who do adapt immediately are not likely to hate it later.

Although two surgeries are seldom better than one, if you absolutely don't like your monovision you can have Lasik enhancment surgery on the undercorrected eye to remove the residual myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

returning to distance from short vision???

Postby mike r » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:02 am

Hey Glenn,

Question- when they short distance your eye is there a greater or less amount of cornea microns removed or when they distance your eye? Or is neither applicable in the adjustment? and is it significant enough during any procedure for such a great amount of correction(loss of microns) to lose the magnification level obviously for distance that you had prior to the procedure?

<mike r>
mike r

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 am

Monovision is normally with less than 2.00 diopters difference between the eyes. About 2/3rds of people who try monovision are satisfied with its effect. The other 1/3rd find the difference between the refractive error of the two eyes problematic, or simply do not prefer the monovision effect.

If a person is myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) before Lasik or similar laser assisted refractive surgery, then less corneal tissue would be removed in the non-dominant eye to leave the patient myopic after surgery, but less than 2.00 diopters. If a person is hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) or emmetropic (no refractive error), then more tissue would be removed to create myopia.

NearVision Conductive Keratoplasty (NearVision CK) is a different technique that uses radio waves to change the curvature of the cornea to create monovision. NearVision CK is appropriate for patients who are hyperopic or emmetropic, and may be appropriate for someone who has very little myopia.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GodsClay » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:41 pm

Mike R.....

Can I ask just what kind of surgery did you have done?
Monovision???
If so....

(1)
can you give me some details as to what you were compared to what you are now

(2)
when was your surgery

(3)
what was your 1st couple of weeks like after the surgery

(4)
your age (if I dare ask) so that I can know how similar we are with our eyes

Thank you muchly :)

GodsClay

Your asking for me to repost-

Postby mike r » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:32 pm

Some of my prior posts rebuttals like age and date of surgery stuff are already in my posted replies to YOU!!!

Anyway will share more later at work...

But Glenn does the small amount of tissue removed effect any significant magnification levels that your eyes have? Or is the magnification related to the size and depth of the orbit of the eye?

People that are far sighted are generally predisposed to see distance better than a near sighted person? And is it because of the genetics of there eyeball eyeball shape. Or is the cornea the magnifier only?

<mike r>
mike r

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:53 pm

Myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) correction (minus lens) tends to make objects appear smaller. Minimification is common for myopes who wear glasses. The entire width of the visual field must be squished down into the width of the glasses. The smaller the lens, the more the minimification. This is why objects seem larger (and easier to see) when switching from myopic glasses to contact lenses, or from myopic glasses to Lasik.

Hyperopic correction (plus lens) tends to magnify objects. Many hyperopes (farsighted, longsighted) need no corrective lenses until after about age 40 when presbyopia sets in because they are able to “focus around” the hyperopia. Presbyopia limits the ability to change focus and hyperopes then get the full effect of their hyperopia. The combination of hyperopia and presbyopia can provide poor vision quality at all distances.

There may be a difference in the size of the image at the macula - the area of the retina for forward vision - depending upon the refractive error and type of correction. A person who is hyperopic in one eye and myopic in the other may have very different image sizes at each eye's macula. This effect, called anisometropia, can cause all sorts of problems.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GodsClay » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi Mike...

Sorry, I was trying to do too many things at once - at work + reading this forum.... and I was thinking about another posting while I was at this topic while all the time being distracted at work. I don't think I've ever absored so much information in such a short time!

I will be going for a 2nd consultation this morning (same surgeon). Now that I've overloaded my brain, I have new questions for the MD. I'm definitely leaning towards Monovision.....

Once I arrive at work after my appointment I will be mega busy today, but will post this evening the results of my consultation.

Have a great day!
GodsClay

Hammer the doc

Postby mike r » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:26 pm

Hey Godsclay,

Good luck at the eval.
I here ya on work.
I thought about you wanting more input but dont know what else to add
to steer a better decision.

I m satisfied and happy. I got the wow effect lasik with the blade but still have the weaker flap issue where the other guys/gals had surface treatment. Glad didnt have the pain and complications though.

I still get mild ghosting without enough significance to matter only under certain circumstances. Thats about it.

Anyway here from you soon. <Mike R>
mike r

Postby GodsClay » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:39 pm

I actually posted this in a different thread, but thought I would post it again here for anyone who is following my progress..... I know that it sure helped me to read each step that others were experiencing.

Below is a copy of the lastest post....

The 2nd consultation went ok..... he answered many questions and gave me a "glimpse" of monovision by holding up a lens to my non-dominant eye (with my glasses on) to give me a taste of how it looks.

I could SEE! I saw clarity like never before (near vision)! H O W E V E R ~~~ I was seeing double (almost) of every letter and number on the card. No matter what power we tried, I had just about the same double vision. It was clear - but it was double too. I know.... it doesn't make sense, but that's how it looked to me.

He said that what I was seeing was 'normal', and my brain would have to LEARN to make the adjustments when I have the real thing. He also said that some folks adjust to the monovision really fast (immediately or within a couple of days). He said that others take longer for their brain to get used to the monovision.... a couple of weeks to several months. I just don't know if I could take that for very long, and my luck would be to have a slow brain :)

I think I'm going to get 2 sets of contacts made from my eyeglasses place. One set for equal distance correction and one set for monovision in order to mimic the 2 choices. At this point, I think I need to know just what to expect before I do anything permanently. If I were 25 years younger - I would dive in. But the presbyopia (and astigmatism) for me is a big factor, and those couple of minutes holding that glass piece up to my glasses were not enough to make a good judgment. Too many variables!

So, it's back to the drawing board and time to take baby steps to find a realistic way to "visualize" the possibilities :)

Lyn
52 Years Old
Considering Lasik or Monovision
Nearsighted + Astigmatism + Presbyopia
Kentucky
GodsClay

monovision once again...

Postby mike r » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Hey Lyn,

I just wanted to see if you read Virginia posts in the just had it forum.

She must not have had monovision and now appears to be regreting not the unclear short range vision...

Just thought I d pass it along maybe you already read it but may be of interest to you.

<mike r>
mike r

Postby yawny » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:10 am

Godsclay, or Lyn if you want to e-mail me privately at YJOL @ comcast. net, I can answer some of your questions or at least tell you about my experience with monovision with contacts, and with Lasik.
yawny

Postby GodsClay » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:22 pm

Thank you Yawny :)

Sent you an email this morning..... and I look forward to hearing from you.

Lyn
52 Years Old
Considering Lasik or Monovision
Nearsighted + Astigmatism + Presbyopia
Kentucky
GodsClay

Previous

Return to Thinking About It