just had a lasek enhancement 3 days ago question for lasik e

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

just had a lasek enhancement 3 days ago question for lasik e

Postby jturner29 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:19 pm

okay i just had my enhancement for the lasek on this thursday, immediatley after the surgery my right eye was so blurry it was horrible, so on the follow up the next day i told the md about it, and he said that it was because all of the cells were bunched up on top of them selves and makingin it harder to see, he also told me that it may take that one longer to heal that way, so he told me that if i wanted to he could take the contact off and washthe cells off, but that it might cause some pain but that it would heal quicker, so i aggreed to do it that way, immediatley after i could see 1000 times better out of the right eye, but as soon as he did that i had thought how much better my left eye was before that, but now my left eye is very blurry like looking through oinment, which is how the right eye was before he washed it out. today is sunday 2 days after he washed the right eye out and the right eye is thriving, do you think that the cells are all clumped up in the left eye right in the center now like th right eye was, i wish i could take that contact out and wash the left eye out myself, i am worried that my left eye is not doing so well, i can see out of it but it is like a real blurry film over it?? can you please give me some insight, you always explain things so well and give the facts it has a way of making me feel better......
jturner29

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:11 pm

Do not remove your bandage contact lens and attempt to wash out your eye.

LASEK is a process of mortally wounding the outermost cells of the cornea (epithelial cells) with an alcohol solution, sliding them aside, applying laser energy to the underlying cornea, and then sliding the epithelial cells back over the treated area.

It is quite common for the epithelium to be uneven after LASEK. Also, the process of the cells dying (all will), being expelled, and then being replaced by new cells takes time and can also be uneven after LASEK. Although the corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, this process does take time.

Your surgeon may have simply removed the epithelial cells that had been disrupted in the LASEK process to allow the epithelium to start anew. This is a common response to a situation. If the epithelium was not removed, your body would undoubtedly resolve this irregularity on its own, but also at its own pace.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jturner29 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:29 pm

i would not remove the contact and wash it off so dont worry about that, so what my left eye is going through ,dosent mean that it is abnormal, i am just looking through dead cells, i can tell that i can see things far away, its just like this horrible film over my eye. The right eye since he washed it , its amazing i can see pretty darn well out of that one..
jturner29

feels like sand in my eye

Postby jturner29 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 pm

left eye feels like san dpaper is in my eye and stings, it just feels like something is constantly in my eye, is this normal , i feel like it is constant and it wont go away excepy when i use the numbing drops and i am only allowed to use those 4 times daily..
jturner29

Postby rgonyer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:54 pm

I had the same "sand in the eye" feeling, in both eyes, after my epi-lasek. On and off in both eyes for the first couple of days afterwards. Use LOTS of the artificial tears! This helped me greatly. I was told I couldn't use too many, and my doc feels it contributed to my short (thus far) recovery time.
rgonyer

lasek expert

Postby jturner29 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:23 am

tomorrow will be day seven for me, this is the second time going through this, yesterday they took the bandage contact out, but he told me if i needed to pu them back in i could, i can see better with the bandage contact in, why is that... my right eye is decently clear with contact, and my left eye is bad even with contact in, but with the contacts out i can not see nothing, i would of thought that me being -1.75 and -1.50 that they would have me pretty darn close to normal vision, seeing as how this is my second time, what would you say the time frame would be shouldnt i be seeing some strong improvements each day , and also during my procedure he told me he wanted me to take vitamin c 1000mg, for at least three months ??? what is that all about..
jturner29

lasek expert

Postby jturner29 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:27 am

one more question, how many more days should i wear the bandage contact, he did not say for how long but that if i needed to wear it i could, i think i will take it out at night and just wear them during the day at work for now, but is that proper, or should i just leave them on for a few more days or what????? if leave them in will it hurt my healing process??
jturner29

Postby rgonyer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:34 am

Hmmm.... good questions for your doctor.

Personally, I don't think you should take them "in and out" at all. If the epithelium is reasonably healed, they are usually taken out. Your doctor should be the one to tell you when this is. My bandages were taken out yesterday afternoon, and my vision was also worse after removal. I think it's basically residual swelling that the contact was holding back.

Taking them in and out would only irritate the healing process more, in my opinion.

I'm on day 7 also, my vision isn't great either. It just takes time.
rgonyer

Postby jturner29 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:55 am

i f i did not wear the bandage contacts , i dont think i could of stayed at work, it was pretty miserable at work today with all the flourecents,and peoples faces not being that clear.. i will have to call him tomorrow to get clarification on this...
jturner29

Postby rgonyer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:14 am

Sounds like a good plan - Honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about, only what I've been reading here over the past couple of weeks, and making my own judgements. Good luck and let us know what he says....
rgonyer

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:30 am

The bandage contact lens stays in until your doctor takes them out.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jturner29 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:46 am

my doctor took them out, on wednesday, but told me if i needed to put them back in i could...
jturner29

question for lasek exp

Postby jturner29 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:47 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow will be day seven for me, this is the second time going through this, yesterday they took the bandage contact out, but he told me if i needed to pu them back in i could, i can see better with the bandage contact in, why is that... my right eye is decently clear with contact, and my left eye is bad even with contact in, but with the contacts out i can not see nothing, i would of thought that me being -1.75 and -1.50 that they would have me pretty darn close to normal vision, seeing as how this is my second time, what would you say the time frame would be shouldnt i be seeing some strong improvements each day , and also during my procedure he told me he wanted me to take vitamin c 1000mg, for at least three months ??? what is that all about..
jturner29

Re: question for lasek exp

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:24 pm

jturner29 wrote:i can see better with the bandage contact in, why is that...

The contact lens provides a very smooth surface that will improve vision clarity. This will be replicated by the epithelium (outermost layer of corneal cells) as they regenerate, thicken, and smooth.

jturner29 wrote:shouldnt i be seeing some strong improvements each day

The improvements will be very slow. You don't see the clock's hands move, but time passes by nonetheless. The healing will occur at its own pace.

jturner29 wrote:during my procedure he told me he wanted me to take vitamin c 1000mg, for at least three months ??? what is that all about..

It has been shown that 500mg of vitamin C taken twice a day before and after PRK will reduce the probability of corneal haze. Your doctor wants your corneas to be healthy and to not haze.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

update

Postby jturner29 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:53 am

i am about 4 weeks out, and right eye is wonderful, left eye evethough my vision is now + 75 in right eye and plano in left eye, my left eye is still fuzzy when i look out of them both together i see pretty good, in natural light like sunshine man i can see soo good, but in artificial light it is not as clear and at night it is not as clear, lasek expert i was just wondering why i can see so much better in natural light then in artificial light...??
jturner29

Next

Return to Just Had It