Astigmatism Question

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Astigmatism Question

Postby GodsClay » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:38 pm

If my eyes are:

L -2.50 -.75 x 75
R -1.75 -1.25 x78

Is my astigmatism affecting my near vision range or distance?
GodsClay

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:51 pm

Most probably, yes. The astigmatism would likely cause blur or a ghostly doubled image.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GodsClay » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:06 pm

Most probably, yes.

I'm confused..... which one does it affect

Near Vision >>>OR<<< Distance Vision

If its the Near Vision - then my BIFOCAL (LOWER LENS) is correcting that... right ??
GodsClay

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Astigmatism causes a portion of the light entering the eye to be out of focus and/or off center. It can affect any range of distance (near, mid, far) and can affect a wide range of distances at the same time. The only way to know for sure is to use lenses that correct the astigmatism and see what vision anomalies disappear.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Did you reach a verdict???

Postby mike r » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:43 am

Well?

Are you ready?

Whens the date?

What procedure?

All the cards have been layed on the table...

Let s here it !!! <Mike R>
mike r

Postby GodsClay » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:19 am

The 2nd consultation went ok..... he answered many questions and gave me a "glimpse" of monovision by holding up a lens to my non-dominant eye (with my glasses on) to give me a taste of how it looks.

I could SEE! I saw clarity like never before (near vision)! H O W E V E R ~~~ I was seeing double (almost) of every letter and number on the card. No matter what power we tried, I had just about the same double vision. It was clear - but it was double too. I know.... it doesn't make sense, but that's how it looked to me.

He said that what I was seeing was 'normal', and my brain would have to LEARN to make the adjustments when I have the real thing. He also said that some folks adjust to the monovision really fast (immediately or within a couple of days). He said that others take longer for their brain to get used to the monovision.... a couple of weeks to several months. I just don't know if I could take that for very long, and my luck would be to have a slow brain :)

I think I'm going to get 2 sets of contacts made from my eyeglasses place. One set for equal distance correction and one set for monovision in order to mimic the 2 choices. At this point, I think I need to know just what to expect before I do anything permanently. If I were 25 years younger - I would dive in. But the presbyopia (and astigmatism) for me is a big factor, and those couple of minutes holding that glass piece up to my glasses were not enough to make a good judgment. Too many variables!

So, it's back to the drawing board and time to take baby steps to find a realistic way to "visualize" the possibilities :)
GodsClay

aaahhh!!!

Postby mike r » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:20 am

HA!HA! I did the same test when they did the monovision test at the office. I wanted them to cheat the mono to far more and help my distance out. Because that one bad eye steals some of your distance but yes up close its not as noticeable. They didnt want to give me more distance because they were cheating me into the future. So I would nt be just as bad with the presbiopia 10yrs from now.

So I excepted there advice.

You say you see clear and blurry or ghosting at the same time. I didnt really remember it as ghosting as much as blurry and yeah that bothered me to. The doctor forced me to wear the contacts before surgery to. She would not do the surgery unless I tried the contacts.
I already had my mind made up after 3 seperate consultations and everyone advising to do monovision anyway.

Yes get the lense changes and walk awhile in my shoes...ha ha!!!

<mike r>
mike r

one more thing

Postby mike r » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:31 am

I forgot to tell you about a week after the surgery there was this 2 week straining going on like eye cramps between the 2 eyes. It was like taking your to hands and pushing them against each other but it was my eyes. A battle for dominance or something weird like that. Not pain just cramping strain like musclular strain. It has dissipated at this point and I guess they have learned to live together in better harmony.

Just further interjecting my monovision adaptation...I know it must sound bizarre but thats what I experienced....

<mike R>
mike r

Return to Thinking About It