Diopter Range

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Diopter Range

Postby myers817 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:13 am

I have a -10 diopter in the left eye and -8.5 in the right. I'm seriously considering having Lasek/PRK. Tell me what the limit is before you start to get into the risky area for someone with a high correction.
myers817

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:14 am

You are in an area that will very likely experience regression, will likely require Lasik enhancement surgery, and will remove a lot of tissue to gain the full correction you undoubtedly desire. It is within the treatable range, but there are many factors that need to be carefully evaluated before you will know if Lasik is appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

follow up question

Postby myers817 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:26 pm

What type of things need to be evaluated. This isn't something I want to jump into. I see fine with contacts now. I went to my regular eye doctor the other day and he said that my cornea thickness is average to above average. I've been wearing glasses/contacts since I've been in the second grade and would love to be able to see if I wake up in the middle of the night. I told the eye doctor, even if I have a correction up to a point, that's better than where I am now!
myers817

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:01 pm

It would be valuable for you to read our article abut Lasik to get a better understanding of the procedure.

We could discuss many, many issues about Lasik, but it would be an academic exercise and downright confusing if the issues we discuss do not relate to you. An evaluation by one or two Lasik doctors would provide solid information, such as pupil size, type of ablation, type of microkeratome, etc. and we can discuss those issues that are unusual or indicate a specific problem/advantage.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It